Who carries a firearm on Scout Outings???

"There are ornery, misguided people in the wilderness..."

Heck, I'm ornery and misguided...but I'm not a criminal, lol. The vandalism you experienced would have occurred even if you were packing. It happened while you were not present.

I've caught vandals before. One person had hacked down some trees in order to get a better view. In that case I don't think I'd draw down on the guy: the trees are dead already and what he really needed was some education...which I gave him.

In another case, I have often caught people littering. Most of the time they'd rather just pick up the litter and get the heck away from my 'education program'. Pulling a gun probably wouldn't improve the lesson much.

People who are going to commit a major crime that causes serious property damage or bodily harm are likely to pick a time in which its' not going to help much for others to be carrying a weapon. The criminal will likely either have the advantage of surprise in which case your weapon is just as likely to become 'their' weapon or else they'll do it when they know no one is around.

Yes, I've encountered badly-behaved persons, drunks and the like. Most of the time, even if they're aggressive, I can just leave them in my dust.

You're right about wilderness use. The more crowded it gets with people, the more often people will bring their bad behaviors to the wild. It's sad but true. But I still don't see that any of this is improved if all of a sudden there's an abundance of guns out there as well. Most likely, all that will happen is more people will get shot, and not necessarily the 'bad guys'.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd rock at the UN.     ....and from our father's father's father's father.   I'll give you the pint. The Imperial pint has not shrunk in 1000 years, whereas American beer bottles have gone fro

BSA also has policies in place about the mixing of males & females in Dens, Packs & Troops, but many here have no problem talking about how they work around those policies, often with an under

Which is more important: 1- The physical well-being of someone in my care, should the need arise for a firearm in the backwoods.  2- My continued membership in BSA.   If I lost som

Whoa, I just had a shock of "cognitive dissonance", I think. Learned that term here, and I think it describes what I just felt

I thought we were in the "No Child left Outdoors" generation, where people don't go into the wild, or backcountry or off road or whatever its called now as its too dity and hard and video games approximate the same experience

Are we saying so many people are now in the back country to the point we need "to carry" ? What happened to the lack of people going outdoors and not wanting to get dirty, I get so confused!

I didn't say anything about guns, not one word. The only point I addressed was in regard to the number and type of people in the wilderness due to changes in accessibility.

One of the first things discussed in Leave No Trace training is the change accessibility has had on the environment. From the LNT webpage: Between 1965 and 1980, backcountry visits jumped from 4 million visitor days per year to 10 million per year. (A visitor day is a 12 hour stay by one person.) In 1984 the number grew to 15 million visitor days up 275 percent in less than 20 years. The numbers of backcountry (and frontcountry) visitors continue to grow at a fast pace.

That trend appears to be continuing. The Florissant Fossil Beds in CO has seen a 10%+ increase in visitors over the last 5 years, from 55,000 visitors in 2007 to almost 62,000 in 2011. CO national Monument went from 395,000 to over 435,000 per year; again, another 10% increase.

Here's the link to the 5 year report from the NPR: https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/System%20Wide%20Reports/5%20Year%20Annual%20Report%20By%20Park

What I do not know by looking at the numbers is the age range of the visitors. I doubt, however, that a bunch of 6 year olds are heading out to the fossil beds of their own volition and accord.

My point, and my only point, is this: we are kidding ourselves if we believe that every person who ventures out into the backcountry is going to have the same agenda, philosophy and ethics as we (scouters) do.

I make no supposition as to the possibility of running into a troublemaker or finding oneself in a life threatening situation, from either two- or four-legged perpetrators. I will not, however, disregard the concern of other individuals because I know the possibility exists.

Vandalism has gradations...

""Lockheed Martin CEO cited for cutting trees along the Potomac""

""...after Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Washington Redskins, was penalized for cutting down 130 trees to improve the view from his Potomac estate, one of his high-powered neighbors is coming under fire for clear-cutting nearly an acre of protected land ...""

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-10-08/local/35498891_1_scenic-easement-trees-compensation-package

Vandalism has gradations...

""Lockheed Martin CEO cited for cutting trees along the Potomac""

""...after Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Washington Redskins, was penalized for cutting down 130 trees to improve the view from his Potomac estate, one of his high-powered neighbors is coming under fire for clear-cutting nearly an acre of protected land ...""

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-10-08/local/35498891_1_scenic-easement-trees-compensation-package

• 3 years later...

A lot has changed in the past 3 years..... might be a good idea to revisit the issue.  It might be a good idea to maybe find some statistics on how many people carried weapons in 2013 and how many carry today.

Keep it in mind that Scouter who posses a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2" can be arrested if it is concealed in my state.  So if one is going to carry a hunting knife, either wear it open carry or take it off and put it in your trunk before driving your car.  If it's in the passenger area in the open and you're not carrying it, you will be arrested.  And of course make sure when you put your picnic basket in the car it's in the trunk.  A dinner knife is still by definition a knife and is limited to the 2 1/2" limit.  :)  These are just the laws pertaining to knives.  It gets ridiculous when we start talking guns. 

One of the former leaders/dads in Cub Scouts ALWAYS either carried on him or in the trunk of his car, firearms. He was also the head of the SWAT team, so he was on call 24/7.

Currently one of the ASMs will be concealed carrying when he is on call. Yep, law enforcement again. One time it got real interesting when I was doing training, and he showed up in his work van. He was on call that weekend, and actually had to get permission to go 50 feet outside the city limits with the vehicle. Thankfully the powers that be are pro Scouting.

OK, someone asked for a new thread and I had a hunch that someone had beat it to death before. I was right.

So...in the opinion of the gun nuts out there, what is the best concealed carry firearm for BSA outings?

The short and obvious answer is the one that I'm trained and qualified to carry.  As for the specific firearm, I suppose like everything in the outdoors it depends on where you are going, what you are doing, and the risks you expect to encounter.  You know, be prepared and all.  But at a higher level, if the parents and CO of a unit are comfortable with their leader(s) carrying a firearm (concealed or open), what business is it of yours or any other control-freak?  Your irrational gun fears do not create a claim on my freedoms.  Now, can we be done with the name calling?

• Upvote 1

My kid brother (law enforcement officer) plays by the rules.  He and his buddy were going to do some bear hunting in Northern MN.  6 weeks prior to the season, they faithfully baited a spot to hunt.  They hauled up some really good garbage.  :)  Well, one of the weeks near to opening day, his buddy couldn't make it up there so he went by himself.  When he pulled into the farmer's drive and started hauling out garbage, the farmer's wife came out and asked him where his buddy was and he said he couldn't make it up that week.  She went back into the house got her hat and coat and buckshot loaded shotgun and said she'd go with him.  She said only and idiot would go out there unarmed.  Up until then the only gun the two of them carried was my brothers .38 service revolver, no where near enough firepower for a bear.  :)  He learned his lesson and was lucky.

I have been camping for over 60 years with the early years with my family.  I didn't realize it until my brother told my dad this story that the camper we used always had a loaded 12 gauge under the mattress any time we went camping.  I do remember going hunting when camping, Dad told me about the guns during the civil unrest of the '60's, but I didn't realize the guns were there all the time.

OK, someone asked for a new thread and I had a hunch that someone had beat it to death before. I was right.

So...in the opinion of the gun nuts out there, what is the best concealed carry firearm for BSA outings?

"Gun nuts"? As opposed to the "Gun Restriction Nuts"?

• Upvote 1