Eagle on your resume

Well, I've hired the best candidate. It was a tough choice, both were well qualified in different ways. To be honest, I didn't even realize the fellow was an Eagle until after the interview was over. It was buried way down on the bottom of page 4 of his curriculum vita, below publications and just above references.

I still have my Eagle on my CV, even though these days it's buried on my page 23. It's never gotten me a job or a contract, but people have told me it speaks to character.

Got a buddy that owns a bakery. He always hires Eagles when he can. His experience is they are dependable.

When I interviewed for a job in a large metropolitan fire department 30 years ago they asked me extensively about being an Eagle. They hired me. I also have a friend who has 3 sons in the same FD today that are all Eagles.

Another friend is VP of an environmental company, he says he hires Eagles because of their dependability and outdoors experience.

Some of you all just wish Eagle didn't mean anything. It is still recognized as a great accomplishment.

Most folks that aren't part of the BSA, or may not agree 100 percent with the BSA's stance on certain issues, still appreciate what the program is striving to achieve.

I think the anti-BSA/anti-Eagle faction is a very small but vocal percentage of the population.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Acco40: - "As for myself, if I saw that a young man that I was interviewing for a prospective entry level engineering position fresh out of college had earned Eagle - it would be a conversation starter that I could use to determine how well spoken and how well the applicant's communication capabilities were."

I've already related in the linked thread earlier about how my son's Eagle played into his upcoming internship with BP. I have a second story. I've been fortunate in that my son has always been a good kid and a good student. He never got into trouble with his teachers or sent to the principal's office.....except one time. Back around 9th grade, he had left his notebook in a classroom rather than taking it to his locker. Someone playing a prank on him picked it up and wrote vvulgarities all over and inside the notebook. It got sent to the office and the vice-principal for 9th grade sent for my son. He had no idea what he was being called to the office for. He was asked if this was his notebook? Yes sir. Do you have any idea why I sent for you? No sir. Did you do this? With a sincerely shocked look on his face, NO SIR! The principal could tell by his reaction that he didn't do it. Since my son was never in the office, the principal took a little time to have a conversation with him and get to know him. After a few minutes, he asks, "tell me what kind of activities you are involved in outside of school?" My son starts telling him the things he did and says Boy Scouts. The principal stopped him and said, "that's it! By the way you carry yourself, I knew there was something in your life that makes that difference." Turns out, this principal was a life scout and arrowman just like my son was and he had never completed his Eagle project. Before my son left his office, they discussed possible Eagle projects that could be done at the school and the principal secured a promise from my son that he would earn his Eagle some day, which he did do.

Scouting even without earning Eagle is a great benefit to a young man. If he crosses over at 10.5 and age out at 18, stop and think about how much leadership opportunities he has had, how many SM conferences and BOR's he has done. He's learned about citizenship, ethics and duty. The confidence that all of thos experiences bring to the table is something that usually shines thru to an employer, whether they are aware the person was a scout/eagle or not.

Even though my Eagle was decades ago, it remains in my CV. It has had a few positive conversations and never a negative one. If an employer sees being an Eagle Scout as a negative, then I do not wish to work for that employer.

By the way, Scouting has membership requirements as does many other private organizations. Youth who meet those requirements may join. Not being a Scout does not prevent one from any careers that are known to me including being a professional Scouter. That is no discrimination. One must be an attorney to join the ABA, a physician to join the AMA, have an IQ greater than 150 to join MENSA, etc. To be a discriminatory organization implies at this time that some right, privilege, or opportunity is being denied. Those things are not being denied if one is not a Scout.

You must not be a Mensa member. One must have an IQ in the top 2%, as measured by a fellow Mensa psychologist and also pay the proper membership dues. :)

I remember I was told, at the age of 15, that I should have the Mensa IQ test administered to me - which I did and met the 2% guideline. Now, being somewhat of a rebellious youth at that age, I made the choice not to pay the membership fee to join. Anyone care to guess what the advantages are for taking the test at 15?

Now, respectfully, if I was interviewing an associate professor for a position at "my" university and I saw that they have Eagle Scout on their resum/CV, I would wonder more about why they thought an award earned at the age of 17 (or earlier) was still relevant today. Heck, I won a spelling bee in grade school, was a member of the NHS in high school, earned a myriad of Scouting awards (but not the Pinewood Derby :( ) but now, some 40 years later would not mention that (or my religion, political views or that fact that I'm member of the BSA) on my resum.

Now, for a young adult just starting out in his career, I think it would be fine to include the fact they earned the Eagle award. I've encouraged my sons to do so.

acco40,

No I am not a member of MENSA. Was encouraged to take the test in middle or high school and did not for some reason. I include my Eagle in my CV for the same reasons I list papers dating back to my undergraduate days (I started doing research in physics as a freshman at a major university). The Eagle award says something about me. If it has no relevance, though clearly it is less relevant, when I am older then the award does not have the advantages that we tend to bestow upon it. Also, if an employer objects to my being proud of the accomplishment long ago, then I do not need to be working there.

"I still have my Eagle on my CV, even though these days it's buried on my page 23. It's never gotten me a job or a contract, but people have told me it speaks to character."

Page 23! I thought a resume was supposed to be highlight of your career not to exceed 2 pages. If it is buried on page 23, I doubt anyone has seen it. I cant imagine any recruiter who would take the time to wade thru 23 pages. Maybe the first 3-4 but unless you have a immensely entertaining CV, I would think they would maybe skim the rest at best.

resqman,

Gleaned from the interwebs. We mere mortals write resumes. Academics employee CV's as a form of an intellectual p*ssing match to prove who is more worthy. ;) j/k

The primary differences between a resume and a curriculum vitae (CV) are the length, what is included and what each is used for. A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, experience and education. While a resume is brief and concise - no more than a page or two, a curriculum vitae is a longer (at least two page) and more detailed synopsis.

A curriculum vitae includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details. In Europe, the Middle East, Africa, or Asia, employers may expect to receive a curriculum vitae.

In the United States, a curriculum vitae is used primarily when applying for academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants.