I am in the middle of a divorce and recently moved to a new state. One son is an Eagle and a sophore in college, while the other is a project and 1 requirement each for 3 merit badges away from Eagle. He stayed behind to finish up last year of high school. He is in a great troop with teriffic adult leadership. He has his project picked out and most of the submission paperwork filled out. A few signatures and he will be scheduling dates for the project. Should be an Eagle within the next 2-4 months. He is currently fundraising to attend his 3rd national high adventure base this coming summer.

I have deep resume in scouting. Started as a Cub, moved on to Boy, and finished as an Explorer. Earned most every award as a lad and have been a participant four times to three national high adventure bases. Been an BSA adult leader for the past 9 years. Seems weird not going on a campout monthly or attending a meeting weekly. Visited my nephews troop just to do something. A little too far to travel weekly.

Haven't got permanent living quarters settled just yet so no sense in visiting and interviewing for troops until that becomes concrete.

Work with people who think watching sports on TV is the highest and best possible thing in the world. They can't fathon why anyone would want to go rappeling, whitewater rafting, or sleep on the ground.

No questions, no deep insights. Just missing Scouting after being so involved for so long. Just looking forward to finding a troop where I can help out.

Sorry about the divorce.

We just had a campout and it can be, in unexpected ways, a restorative. It is great to see boys grow and mature.

We just had a "Iron Chef" challenge campout and it was funny to see how one Patrol worked hard to "poison" the judges (us Adults) by putting every ingredient (Meat, mushrooms, milk, onions, marshmallows, chocolate)they could find into a soup. It was gross looking but was the best tasting! Made me laugh.

Also seeing one of the boys (on his own)teach a new adult one of the knots. Had to go over and over it until the Dad learned it.

Hello resqman,

Sorry about the divorce. Somehow our public authorities are unconcerned about the plague of divorce which destroys 'way too many families. Of course our public policies encourage divorce for any reason or no reason at all.

You might consider looking up the council and district you live in and visiting the district Boy Scout Roundtable to get acquainted with the programs and Scouters in your area. There are always interesting things adult leaders can help with, and I'm sure there are troops that would find your varied Scouting experience valuable.

Thanks for the well wishing regarding the divorce. Something I never planned for or expected but now that it is underway I feel so much better to away from her. Feel sorry for the kids.

I plan on joining a troop once I get settled. Just in limbo for the next couple months until new job settles down and can start making more permanent plans.

Just felt a bit blue when I posted. Like I mentioned, no questions, no great insights, just missing scouting. Thought posters here would be able to understand what NOT scouting might mean to someone.

Looking forward to being active again.

While you're waiting out a no doubt rough transition, look up a local outdoor/conservation club and sign up for a weekend hike/activity that may suit you.

No, it's not scouting. But it's more likely to fit in your near-term schedule. Plus, when you have custody of the kids, you might be connected to some resources that you could use on short notice.

Why not also contact your local District or Council Commissioner ?

Serve as a Unit Commissioner to a Pack or Troop ?

It makes me sad when a parent serves from Tiger to Eagle with their son, and then once the son goes to college, they let themselves fade away...

Scouting needs those leaders to stick around, back off a little in their commitment time if they want a break, but keep serving in other capacities... Our UC comes to lots of our events, campouts, when he wants on his own schedule.