So let us just assume...

Scouting came to the Cleveland area in 1908, solely on the basis of "Scouting for Boys."

By the time the BSA appeared in 1912, there were 99 troops in the area covered by the "Cleveland District." This was a common situation.

Early Scouting got lots of newspaper coverage. The daily stories report hiking, camping, scoutcraft "field days," scoutcraft contests, meeting activities, service projects, and Scout leagues for basketball and softball.

One troop hiked from Cleveland to the Ohio River and back as their Summer activity.

Boy Scouts did not start with Districts, Councils, and Professionals; in fact Boy Scouts didn't care who did, or didn't, recognize the organization. Boy Scouts ws started by boys, looking for adventure and personal growth.

BSA no longer exists on some piece of paper, so what? We have less support, but we stay the course. Without hesitation I would continue guiding my troop, meeting each Monday, holding a monthly PLC, 2 outings a month, training leaders, and serving my community with my fellow scouts.

The Canadians (close by) or Brits (the home country) would recolonize us quickly. Just as US scouters helped jump start scouting in the Green Zone of Baghdad, scouters in other countries would give us a jump start. Also I don't expect councils to just dissapear if their camps are functioning and they're running in the black.

The original ideals of scouting are just as solid now as they were 100 years ago.

However, the BSA's best draw--outdoor adventure--has been downplayed, and the BSA as an organization has become top-heavy and hidebound.

The heart of scouting is the den, troop, crew, ship. Everything else is overhead.

Scouting would survive, and thrive, if the BSA closes shop.