Unit Award Program

Does anyone have experience with the new unit award program that is broken down into bronze, silver, and gold? How do you track this - is it online or do you work it on paper? Who do you submit the paperwork to?

Thanks,

Robert Davis

That's pretty much it. Unit keeps a copy, District/Council get a copy. Commissioners, if they are on the ball can keep track of them. Toward the end of the year (new charter) , Unit pulls out the old JtE form and calculates how they did ("Scout's Honor") How'd they do? Check with Commish or DE for appropriate award.

Fill out next years form. Rinse and repeat.

There are spreadsheets which you allow you to track your performance during the year. The idea is that you use the program as a roadmap to improving your unit. The spreadsheet allows you to keep an eye on your progress during the year. When recharger time comes, then you have all the data you need for the award submission, AND you've identified strengths and weaknesses in the unit. Build on the strengths, improve the weaknesses.

I've promoted the use of the Journey to Excellence metrics with my Cub Pack Committee Chair, but she hasn't been interested in using it to target improvements in our program.

I know where the unit is weak, and where it's strong. I think we would benefit from reviewing our weak points from time to time. But there's only so much pushing I can do, and I'm not going to push that until I find more interest in it.

(Our strongest feature is an excellent pack committee, with well attended monthly committee meetings and parents willing to help out when asked.

Our weakest point is advancement -- with few parents taking a hand in teaching and supporting the advancement method.)