Guide to Safe Scouting Question

TwoCubDad, right on the money as usual.

I did a Yahoo search on "laser firearm" (in quotes, because without quotes I got exclusively laser-sighting devices for real guns in the first few hits.) I get 2 sponsor hits, both of which are for laser-sighting devices for real guns, and the other 8 hits are a mixed bag, most of which appear to be training devices for law enforcement.

I think all this proves the point that the definition of what is prohibited must be improved. The average reasonable person who does not spend hours reading posts on the Internet, who is sitting there reading the G2SS, should be able to figure out what is permitted and prohibited just be reading it. If we have to go to these lengths, and if we cannot agree what it means, then that hypothetical person is not going to be able to do that. Or more accurately, some may reach one conclusion, some may reach another, and some may not be sure.

Is it such a big deal that it needs to be re-worded? Before the issuance of the current G2SS, apparently it never said anything about laser tag at all. They should just fix it.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just look them up I don't make them up.

Bob White

Perisher XC Plan

... The Service has agreed to a trial of laser biathlon events for the 1999 season

with a view to gauging public perception of the use the laser firearm. ...

www.kcros.org.au/perisherplan.htm - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE 1 INTRODUCTION TO ADMINISTRATION OF ...

... The student will learn how to evaluate crime scenes, identify and collect physical

evidence and, through laser firearm training, learn officer safety ...

www.lacitycollege.edu/academic/ departments/law/ajcourses.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Mesa Legend - ARCHIVES - Vol. 38, Issue 11

... 11. On both days, come and test your aim with a laser firearm simulating

a crime scene in progress, (reservations required). On ...

www.mc.maricopa.edu/other/legend/ARCHIVES/ vol38issue11/uptodate.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Kay Arr's FRUA Page

... Autocharge Laser (Firearm w/ built-in ammo) - Sling Pistol, Assault Rifle, Submachine

Gun, Chaingun (Require Bullets) - Short/Long/Comp.Short/Comp.Long Bows ...

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/8996/frua.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

The Collegian

... For those interested in more interactive activities, there are indoor laser firearm

and archery training simulators, not to mention an auditorium for school ...

www.hillsdale.edu/collegian/articles/ october/nugent.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Well Bob, the problem is that none of your cites are authorotative and one is for a "firearm simulator" that uses a laser.

ATFE says that a firearm uses gunpowder or similar chemical propellant.

Lasers are regulated by the FDA.

Calling a laser weapon a "firearm" is just like calling a Venturer a "Venture Scout."

I never said any of the sources were authoritative in any sense. I only pointed out that the phrase "laser firearm" is used by other sources to refer to a device that fires a laser besides the G2SS.

I think that the links show it is used in other arenas as well. That's all.

Bob White

Bob,

Now who's not answering questions?

I think we all agree that the wording in the G2SS can be interpreted differently. And I don't think we disagree on the intent of the prohibition. We just wish it was worded differently.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"Bob,

Now who's not answering questions?"

Ed, This is the kind of personal attack that is so unnecessary. If you look back at the preceding posts you will see that no question was asked of me. Yet you deride me for not answering.

Why do you do that Ed?

Would you guys mind cooling it off a bit? Some of us are trying to sleep.

We had a good Join Us Night (unified school night,) but not the great one we needed. I, for one, am trying to sleep.

Please yell at each other another time and leave the rest of us in peace.

Goodnight all.

DS

Bob,

I posted this on 9/18/2003 at 6:00:31 AM.

" "That's Okay Ed, I didn't think you would answer the question, I just wanted to point out your contradictory statements."

What didn't I answer, Bob?

"It's a very simple policy, I am confident that the majority of the forum readers understand it and will abide by it. What you choose to do with what you think it means is of course up to you."

And I said I don't understand it where?

You read between the lines better than anyone!"

I see two questions at this point unanswered.

I'm not attacking you Bob. Just holding you to the same standard you hold me. If you view this as an attack I'm sorry. It was not meant that way.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

ARRGGHGHHH!

Sorry, had to get that out. Just a fleeting thought on this very.... strange thread. I believe that the Guide to Safe Scouting is just that a Guide. It is not the absolute, without question, endall document to list all activities that might occur throughout the 5o states of America that might occur during scouting events and detail in great confusion which is allowed or not allowed. I took it as a set of guidelines that normal, common sense endowed people could use to GUIDE their scouting experience.

That said.... anyone read any good books recently?

yis