• 2 months later...

I have a 3 step "question" that I will ask my scouts, that I tell them that they should not only answer truthfully about themselves, but that they should also expect ME to be able to answer to them truthfully as well!!

1. Can I trust you to do the right thing?

2. Are you committed? (to the troop, doing the right thing all the time, etc.

3. Do you care about me?

These 3 things to me sum up the spirit of the Scout Oath and Law. You should have seen the puzzled looks on some of their faces when I asked the 3rd question the first time.. ;)

"There are only two creatures of value on the face of the Earth - those with a commitment, and those that require the commitment of others."

Not trying to be argumentative, but as I read this it seems to cover just about everyone and everything.

A good pal of mine who is a Roman Catholic Priest gave a great sermon about Simon of Cyrene helping Jesus with the cross.

While most of the material I have read about Simon deals with him being a reluctant helper. This sermon was about Jesus accepting the help. It went on to deal with how most of us are good at giving, we are not very good at receiving or even asking for help.

I'm sure many of us have used "Doing the Job Alone"

Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for more information concerning block #11 on the insurance form which asked for "cause of injuries" wherein I put "trying to do the job alone." You said you needed more information so I trust the following will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade and on the date of injuries I was working alone laying brick around the top of a four-story building when I realized that I had about 500 pounds of brick left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to put them into a barrel and lower them by a pulley which was fastened to the top of the building. I secured the end of the rope at ground level and went up to the top of the building and loaded the bricks into the barrel and swung the barrel out with the bricks in it. I then went down and untied the rope, holding it securely to ensure the slow descent of the barrel.

As you will note on block #6 of the insurance form, I weigh 165 pounds. Due to my shock at being jerked off the ground so swiftly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Between the second and third floors I met the barrel coming down. This accounts for the bruises and lacerations on my upper body. Regaining my presence of mind, I held tightly to the rope and proceeded rapidly up the side of the building, not stopping until my right hand was jammed in the pulley. This accounts for the broken thumb.

Despite the pain, I retained my presence of mind and held tightly to the rope. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed about 50 pounds. I again refer you to block #6 and my weight. As you would guess, I began a rapid descent. In the vicinity of the second floor I met the barrel coming up. This explains the injuries to my legs and lower body. Slowed only slightly, I continued my descent, landing on the pile of bricks. Fortunately, my back was only sprained, and the internal injuries were minimal.

I am sorry to report, however, that at this point, I finally lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope, and as you imagine, the empty barrel crashed down on me. I trust this answers your concern. Please know that I am finished "trying to do the job alone!"

SueM

My answers to your questions:

1. Can I trust you to do the right thing?

I'm not sure! Have you trained me and given me everything I need to do what is right? If you have -I'll do my best.

2. Are you committed? (to the troop, doing the right thing all the time, etc.

Again I'll do my best, but it's my best, my commitment. Do you know enough about me to stand in judgment?

3. Do you care about me?

Of course I do!! Anyone who cheers for the Steelers is worth caring about!!

Eamonn.

• Upvote 1

Being that my right knee and left shoulder suffers periodic weakness from doing the job(s) alone, I now spot my fall toward the softest areas prior to any fall while working on the roof or in trees. The last incident happened after climbing into a tree in the backyard and splitting the crotch out of my pants. While standing astraddle two limbs, my new neighbor came over to inquire about my doings. Since I had my ear muffs on and the chain saw roaring, about all I could do was give the thumbs up as she walked away with a strange look on her face. I proceeded to cut the appropriate limbs off and began my decent. Since I failed to tie the ladder off and since I needed to cut the remainder of my last step-limb, I kept the chain saw going. The ladder was off center, as usual, so it gave a jerk and of course I began the remainder of my decent holding tightly to the falling ladder and clutching the roaring chain saw in my right hand. As I gathered my wits I was surprised to find my wife standing over me. I had managed to avert certain disaster another time but the worst was yet to come. That is another story. fb

• 2 weeks later...

Once in a speech prior to deployment to the Med for 6 months a General said:

"Through out history Marines have been committed to actions in our nations defense. Some in the press say our involvement in history has kept our nation free. That's a lot of bull. There is a tremendous difference between commitment and involvement.

When you ate bacon and eggs at the chow hall this morning, the chicken was involved. However, the pig was committed to that breakfast. That is the fundamental difference between commitment and involvement."