SM Minute and Scout Oath/Law

There are several in the scoutmaster's minutes section of the forum. Make sure to look at all of them (not just the last year):

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewForum.asp?forumID=25

But, my all time favorite is "the most important word". See this one:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=19560

This had our guys going for several weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many SM Minutes for the Law and Oath. One good one is waiting until the campfire burns down and have the scouts think about the current outing and what points of the scout law they will or have used during the outing. Then slowly state each one giving the scouts time to reflect. If it is a two night event have the scouts gather around the campfire on night 2 reciting the law (one point for each scout). Once complete the SM can use his minute to reflect on the answers given or his own. At the end Stand in silence then repeat the law and the oath. Then quietly retire to the tents.

EagleInKY - thanks. I have looked through most of the previously posted SM minutes and have started using them at end of Troop meetings. Scouts aren't used to this as it hasn't really been done consistently before, but the look on their faces tells me they like it. Comments at the end like, "hmmm" "oh wow" "that's cool" etc.

Troop2Eagle. We have a campout coming up in a couple of weeks and I plan to use your idea. I've been looking for something to meaningful to do at the close of our Saturday night campfires. Thanks!

I'm a new SM (almost 1 year) and this forum with all you experienced Scouters out there has been a great help.