The Bumper Sticker

How many of you guys wear your Scout uniform to school?

I didnt think so. Well, I dont wear my uniform to work either.

However, I do have a Scouting emblem on my car. Every day. So, wherever I go people know that the person who is driving my car is a Scout. Which means that if I do something jerky - like cut someone off in traffic it doesnt just reflect badly on ME, the driver, it reflects on YOU too, and on every other Scout in the country. I try to remember that and not do anything jerky. Sometimes its hard, I admit, but that little sticker on my car keeps me acting scoutlike.

Now, you may not wear your uniform everyday, but your friends probably know anyway that you are a Scout. Are you scoutlike?

Think about it.

Good point.

On my truck I have a couple BSA Stickers. It is totally obvious that a Scout or Scouter is driving my Truck.

As I was coming home from work the other day, driving down a major street, doing the speed limit. I was passed by a BMW. As the BEEMMER passed me, out of the sun roof popped a lone finger, I think the lady was telling me I was number 1.

Of course I pulled in right behind her at the next stop light... and what do you suppose adorned her bumper...

"Know Jesus...Know Peace" and "Do unto others..." you get the point.

Now I am a devout Catholic and have nothing against such bumper stickers... unless of course they are represented by a single finger protruding from the sun roof.

I do think there is a certain amount of accountability when you put Scouting stickers on your car. The same expectation that comes when wearing the uniform.

Jerry(This message has been edited by schleining)

Think of it this way: she was celebrating the feeling of unity among people. ;)

Back in the 1960s I was hassled about the bumper stickers I had on my auto. You know, the usual...scratched messages in the paint, broken windows, slashed tires. So today, I just don't have stickers. Period.

However, my scout shirt hangs in the window all the time (you never know when someone may need a last-minute conference and anyway, I can't easily misplace it that way).

But a while back, I had a very similar experience with a Jehovah's Witness. And hey, I noticed the same thing again when I was driving through Portland this summer. You don't suppose....

Portland... as in Oregon..

I am the "Greater Portland Area"... No suprise there....

The finger is just something that the Fair citizens of Portland love to throw around... thank goodness for the "burbs".

Anyway- its interesting to see how people act vs. what they profess.

Jerry