A friend we all know

Tonight I want to talk about a friend we all know. Or think we know.

In this troop we've all sat around many campfires, warming ourselves on rainy afternoons and on frosty nights, cooking our hotdogs, and just letting the friendly crackle of the flames and the comforting glow of the embers make us feel good about being outdoors, about ourselves.

Last week, as some of you have heard, in the middle of the night my Ford truck spontaneously exploded. The flames were so high that the tree it was parked under caught fire. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I am very glad that the truck wasn't parked in a garage because the flames were so intense they would have burned the whole house down. As it was, our whole family was out on the front lawn at 2 in the morning watching the fire department put out our blazing truck.

I guess there are several points to this story. One point might be that friends, like fire, have several sides to them. We might not really know them until something unexpected happens.

But the point I want to leave you tonight with is simply this: Be Prepared. I want each and every one of you to go home and talk to your family about what you would do if there was a fire in your home. Make a fire plan. It can save your life.