given to our troop on 5/16/05. If you like it, you're welcome to use it also

--------------------

I know that all of you will be able to relate to what I'm going to say - either through direct experience, or from hearing your parents say it over and over ... Gasoline is really getting expensive! It's gotten to the point where I spend $25 or $30 every time I fill up, and I have a SMALL car! So I've taken to stashing two twenty dollar bills in a special pocket in my wallet, just to make sure that I'll have enough money for gas each week.

Well, the other morning I was on my way to work and I was low on gas so I pulled into this gas station. I put the nozzle in my tank and watched the ticker click off $5 ... $10 ... $15 ... $20. Finally, it clicked off at $24.93. I rounded it up to $25 and went in to pay. There was a new clerk behind the counter, a young guy maybe 21 or 22 years old. Maybe in college. So I pull out my wallet to pay, but I can only find ONE of my $20 bills! I owe this guy $25 but I only have $20! I'm getting pretty worried, so he asks me, "Do you have any credit cards?" I tell him, "No, I'm sorry I don't use those any more."

But I KNOW I have another $20 bill in my wallect somewhere, so I'm tearing it apart, taking everything out - my driver's license, my voter ID card, my health insurance card, everything. He looks down and sees my Scout registration card and says, "You're a scout." As I look up, this fellow, whom I have never seen before, takes a $5 bill from his own wallet and puts it on the counter. "It's OK", he says. "You can pay me next time."

Now this fellow had NEVER seen me before in his LIFE. Why do you think he did that?

Think about it ...

It works the other way also.

I was filling up at my regular station. Paid and then decided to get a bottle of water. The clerk and I were talking and another customer came in. I waved and walked out the door. Got to the other side of town and realized I hadn't paid for my water. I went back by the next day and told her I needed to pay for the water. She said I had. I knew I hadn't. I paid forthe water. She laughed and said she wouldn't have know the difference. I told her that I would have and would have worried that every time I came in she would look at me and wonder it I was ever going to pay for that $.99 bottle of water.

How can you teach boys to be honest and trust worthy if you aren't yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the people at the bank aren't as trusting as gas station clerks. I went to a bank to cash a check for my mom and the teller wouldn't cash it till I had showed some ID. Apparently I had misplaced my driver's license but I found my Eagle Card, she said it wasn't good enough and I had to have my mom cash it. It's sad that not everyone thinks of scouting as an ideal.