Behind the scenes leader - must I wear a uniform?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Committie Member of a Local troop. I wear a uniform. as members of the committie "we" are setting an example. If we want the scouts to wear uniforms the adult leaders should. The scouts do pick up things.

As a woman, I agree with what some have said here: I feel strongly that boys need men as role models. Because of that, I quite deliberately turned down the Cubmaster position and am serving as Assistant Cubmaster. I also will not take any leadership role in the troop outside of the committee positions. If I can work in areas that free the men up to work with the boys more, than I am thrilled about that. However, no matter what position what I fill, I feel confident that my example will be noticed--and not just by the boys. Example: noone in our pack but the cubmaster wore a uniform. Almost a year ago, some leaders expressed the feeling that they would stand out and be doing the wrong thing if they wore a uniform. I was saddened by this. Yep, we lack training, so all the rest gets a little muddled in what's appropriate and what isn't. So, the month I registered, I got lucky: the only training course offered all year was that month. I went, but not in uniform. Oh boy, did that feel odd. Everyone there had one. So I came home and went out and bought what I could afford--the shirt and all insignia. I wore it to the very next Cub meeting. Interestingly enough, it was other leaders that came to me and asked how I knew what insignia to wear, where to get the uniform, and did I think they should do it too. I told them it was up to them, that I was doing what I believed to be right by the boys in setting the example and identifying myself with the uniform. We now have 2 more leaders in uniform, and one considering it. The boys think that's pretty cool, and the parents know exactly who to go to--the adults in uniform. Oh, and I wwent to roundtable in a nice civilian outfit, but all others were in uniform. Noone spoke to me, noone knew who I was or what I was doing there. The next roundtable, I went in uniform, and I had many approach me, making an effort to say hi, especially those in the same position. I felt as though I belonged, but the only thing that changed was what I wore! That's my story of my uniform :)

Oh, I am having soooo many reactions to this post I hardly know where to start. I suppose I'll start with the original question.

Wear the uniform if you can afford to have the complete uniform. We expect the boys to wear it, so why shouldn't the registered leaders, no matter what function. If you can't afford it, can't get one in the right size (you can order custom made, but they are expensive) well, that's another story. The uniform is one of the methods of Scouting. It's not a fashion statement. I prefer my stretchy jeans and a t-shirt myself, but for Scouting functions, I wear the uniform. Last year I wore it to my company's Founder's Day because it occurred on the same day as one of our outings. I got a lot of positive response from people in the company who didn't know I was active in Scouting.

Now, my other issue.....

I am sorry, and I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am offended by the notion that men are the only acceptable influences for Boy Scouts. Now that's my interpretation of the statements made by CharityAK and blade1158. And maybe I'm oversensitive to the issue because my transition to Boy Scouts from Cubs has been an eye opening experience. I went from being the Cubmaster of a mid sized Pack because NO MEN WANTED TO BE INVOLVED to being asked when my son crossed over "Do yo want to join our committee?". I'm sorry, but I envisioned a little more active role with the boys. I see no reason that a good female role model does boys any harm. Believe me, I understand the need for good, strong male leaders. My son has benefited greatly from the positive male role models he has in the Troop. I just don't see anything wrong with felame leaders, no matter the position. And they should proudly wear the uniform.

That's why I really had hoped to address the issue without having to get into my own personal opinions about women in leadership. It is just that...my own opinion and not meant as a criticism of any woman who feels called to contribute in public leadership. My opinion stems from my spiritual belief system and it is not a statement of right and wrong for others. I am deeply grieved if I offended any woman here. It was not my intent. I figured I'd probably get asked my reasons for being uncomfortable in uniform and I knew my reason had potential to be controversial. I am not criticizing other women. I'm just personally uncomfortable myself with representing myself as an authority figure/public leader over men. I don't want to have to get into that or defend it.

As I've stated I'm willing to wear the uniform if SM desires it (I don't know yet what his preferences are). I just want to be able to remain in a support role and out of public eye as much as possible.

Charity

I guess I have to raise the question as to why the Advancement Chairman (not "Officer") is interacting with boys "checking books". Shouldn't that be the role of the Troop Scribe, PL or one of the ASPLs under the guidance of one of the ASM's? Please don't take this as criticism...just trying to get it clear in my own mind.

By checking books...I simply meant transferring data from the handbooks to the record system (Troopmaster) so I could keep the records up to date and have a heads up for encroaching need for BORs. I do not sign off on the boys' books.

Our troop is still evolving...we have no one filling positions such as scribe, librarian, guide, chaplain's aide, quartermaster yet. I believe that is one thing the new SM hopes to address.

Charity

Scoutmom, I'm very sorry. I couldn't go back and edit my post, but I should have followed up on that. My decision not to take leadership in any role other than assistant is just that: my decision for me. We happen to have many men in our pack and in our troop who are terrific leaders, so it's nice--in my opinion--to see that take place. That said, I've had the privilege to meet some awesome female Scoutmasters, and I know I could never do as good a job as they do. The boys who have them as leaders look sharp, have great programs, and are growing in leaps and bounds in scouting. If a woman were to be the next Cubmaster or Scoutmaster of the pack or troop I serve, she would get my full support and be treated no differently than a male leader. Please forgive me for making a post that sounded as though women should not be the leaders. It is my opinion that THIS woman (as in me personally) should not take the lead role, and that is what I meant to say. For the offense, I am truly very sorry.

Here's a wearing the uniform to work story . . .

It's a warning with a wink.

I was working with a District Chairman who was finishing his second year and did not wish to serve a third.

He and I were in the process of putting together our prospect list of candidates. A female at his company, who was significantly higher up the ladder than he was -- and he was no small fish himself -- wore her uniform to work on Halloween.

She had been a den leader for her son's den for five years, but until she wore her uniform to the office, he had no idea she was involved in Scouting.

He and I went after her in a recruiting process and once we overcame her one and only objection, she became arguably the best district chairman I have ever worked with.

Her number one objection? . . .

I'm a woman.

Turns out that she was the only one with that objection -- she worked out great.

DS

Fat Old Guy --

As a matter of fact, I did. She didn't do it again.

I was wondering if anyone would catch it and pretty sure someone would -- the uniform of the Boy Scouts of America is not meant to be worn as a Halloween costume. It is a uniform and should be worn as such.

Thanks for catching that one, F.O.G.

DS

CharityAK,

What I struggle with daily is the thought that "it is the Scoutmasters program." It is not. The program belongs to the BSA. Follow it. Please don't preference every decision you make with "if the SM feels it is okay." One of the biggest problem signs I have seen in troops, as a unit commissioner, is submissive all female committees kowtowing to all male SM/SAs.

Do what YOU believe the program calls for!

My thoughts on Uniforming are if one is registered as an ASM or SM, a uniform should not be an option (it is). You are working directly with the Scouts and are setting the example. If one is registered as a MC it is optional. As a guide line though if one, is going to be very active in the troops activities and around the Scouts a lot, then a uniform will help with setting the example. In addition, as mentioned earlier by others, the uniform helps establish credibility for the wearer at roundtables and other non youth BSA activities.

In regards to BOR, uniforms are an option in my opinion. In one of the BSA Fast Start tapes a BOR is shown and none of the MCs has a uniform on. A Scout could be pretty intimidated by a Board composed of adult in uniforms. If the Scout is use to seeing the MC in a uniform it may not be much of a bother to him. To a Scout a uniform on a MC in a BOR could be directly associated to the leadership of the troop (i.e. SM or ASMs). This could result in the Scout being reserved and not fully open about his experiences in the Troop. I like to interpret the BOR as a check on the Scouts experience in the Troop and a litmus test on the program being offered to the Scouts in general by the Troop Committee. I have even participated in Eagle BORs when everyone there was registered in BSA but not all of Board members were wearing uniforms.

SM406

Hmm All the talk about the gals wearing the mens uniform shirt got me to thinking about a troop I herd about at OLT that was kicked out of jamboree for doing the Cheerleader skit. They were told that wearing cheerleader outfits and wigs was crossdressing and wasn't morally straight. Hmm so would you gals that were the mens shirts be labeled in such a way? TEE HEE

Also my son is left handed, and he noticed the ladies shirts at the scout shop one day and wanted me to get him a "left handed" shirt.