the most important word...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked this question at an eagle board of review. He really did not know which one was most important. Latter at his Court of Honor he told the audience that he had thought about this and his answer should have been courage. Without courage he would have never been an Eagle Scout. And it would take courage to live up to the oath and law.

Yes all words are the legs of the stool. But there is still one that is above the rest. Please think on this as it has caused many scouts and scouters to re-evalute their understanding the Law.

(at least as they became of an age to really think about it)

YIS

I think they are all important. I happened to be listening to the radio today and the talk show host was discussing the case of the atheist boy who was a Scout. A young Scout called in to render his thoughts on the topic and the host asked him if he could recite the Scout Law. For as many times as I have heard this recited and said it myself, it gave me pause to hear this young boy recite it on the air in a very straightforward and unhesitant manner.

Courage? I was not aware that that was one of the twelve points of the Scout Law. Maybe he meant brave?

I'll say one thing, from some of the many posts I've read on this I don't think Courteous is at the top of their list.

I would tend to put Friendly near the top.

A Scout is Friendly.

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.

If a Scout is friendly, cheerful, kind, courteous, and helpful all come into play.

I have been thinking on this since it was first posted. I also say it must be Trustworthy. On this one point hangs all the Law and the Scout Oath. Of what value is the rest of the Law without a Scout being trustworthy? How can a Scout say "On my honor..." with any credibility if he lacks honor/integrity because he is untrustworthy? By this I am speaking of a lifestyle characterized by habitual untrustworthiness. If a person is hypocritcal in his dealings with others, a chronic liar, sees no wrong in cheating (at whatever), etc., that person is not trustworthy.

I have raised my kids to understand that without personal integrity (read honor), meaningful and happy relationships with others - even those you love - cannot be maintained.

All good, well thought out responses but not quite on the mark. To be able to quote the Law is done by first year scouts and as they age and mature they are able to go from rote to understanding. I know I am vague but, this is somithing I have learned from being aroung scouts from their start to Eagle.

There is still a word or to expand the envelope a group of words of which one is important.

Keep thinking and please post your thoughts to this 'campfire'.

YIS

I think I might know what red feather is shooting for.

According to the New Testament, when Jesus was asked to name the most important commandment he said that the most important was to love your neighbor as you love yourself. If you think about all the other commandments, they would all be taken care of if you loved your neighbor. You wouldn't lie to somene you loved, you wouldn't steal from them you wouldn't kill them. By following that one simple rule all others would be uneeded.

In the Scout Law, if one were reverent, if you loved and respected your God (by whatever name you called him/her) you would follow the teaching and live the life asked of you by your religion. That same golden ruled spoken of in the Bible exists in nearly every religion in the world. If a scout were reverent he would be trustworthy, loyal, helpful......and there would be no need to for listing the other 11 points.

Bob White

Scout ....

Without the word Scout, the rest of the law is just a set of words with not much meaning to a boy. By putting the boy (the Scout) with these words ... they become meaningful and become the embodiment of the scouting ideals.

A Scout is Trustworthy.

A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.

A Scout is Loyal.

A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.

A Scout is Helpful.

A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.

A Scout is Friendly.

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.

A Scout is Courteous.

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.

A Scout is Kind.

A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.

A Scout is Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.

A Scout is Cheerful.

A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

A Scout is Thrifty.

A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

A Scout is Brave.

A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.

A Scout is Clean.

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep his home and community clean.

A Scout is Reverent.

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Red Feather

I am really curious, as what YOU think is the most important!

I believe that many cannot be done without the others.

It also depends on the situation!

If I am driving a van full of scouts home after summer camp I think Clean would be the most important at that time! ;)

For what are we trying to teach in Scouts I say Leadership and a good person.

Pack38scouter on the BSA web site the law looks like this it does not start with A Scout it looks like this.

TRUSTWORTHY

A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL

A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL

A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND

A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL

A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY

A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE

A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.