Charter Org with mutiple units

Can somebody provide me some insight, advice, and comments.

Many Charter Organizations sponsor multiple units.

Do you guys have "one" committee for all the units?

Looking for the pros/cons of having "one " committee for multiple units.

(This message has been edited by purcelce)

Each unit must have its own committee. This is because each units program and events are different and the responsibility at each level is different. For example at the Pack level the committee is responsible for the whole program. They schedule the events, they gather the resources, they make all necessary contacts and they make sure all safety rules are followed. At the Troop level they take the schedule provided by the Scouts in the troop and help them gather the resources, make the necessary contacts and advise the Scouts on all policies and rules to make sure they are followed. At the Venturing level the involvement is even less and they should only get involved when asked by the Crew leadership and to advise the Crew on all policies and rules to make sure they are followed. Even if you are talking about two units at the same level such as two Packs the committee needs to be different to reflect the individual program and emphasize of each Pack/Troop/Crew.

I'm no expert by any means on the topic but I think

1) A CO can only charter up to one TYPE of each unit. They can sponsor a Crew, Ship, Troop and Pack but not two Packs for example.

2) The COR must be the same for all units of the CO.

3) Adults may (debatable if it is a good idea or not) register themselves as committee members or leaders of multiple units.

I do know of leaders who were registered leaders in more than one unit (me for example) and of COs that sponsored (owned) more than one unit (a troop and a pack).

A chartered organization can have more than one unit chartered to it. I am not aware of any restriction on the number of units that a single CO can operate. That is to say, the same CO could have two scout troops chartered to it, besides units in different program elements.

As far as duplication of personnel is concerned, I am not aware of any restriction on the number of positions that an individual may fill across units, although on a given charter for a given unit, the COR, the unit leader, and the CC all have to be distinct individuals.

Whether it is wise to have a single individual wearing multiple hats is another matter, but I am not aware of any prohibition on this.

Our Council strongly discourages Chartered organizations from allowing a single individual to serve as Cubmaster, Scoutmaster and/or Crew Advisor. Never looked it up... it makes sense to me!) They tolerate a single person serving as Chairman of multiple units, but "I" think that the units need truly independent but complementary Committees.

(This qualifies as muddying the water not stirring the pot.)

Each chartered organization is entitled to one and only one chartered organization representative regardless of the number of units it charters.

There is no limit to the number of units a single chartered organization may charter.

It is possible for the same adults to multiple register across units and have the same committee.

Okay, so much for the professional spouting BSA rules, purcelce asked for opinions and here's mine:

Many of the LDS wards and churches I have worked with over the years have a single Scouting committee that works with all of its units. How well this works for them, I can't say, but the units seemed to function well.

As a DE, I helped a few new chartered organizations start packs and troops using the same committee people governing both units -- it's easier to start two at a time that way and make sure the units are compatible in terms of philosophy, shared resources such as funding, volunteers and enthusiasm. I also try to implant the goal of growing both units quickly to allow them to break into two committees a year or two down the road.

DS

I believe it is possible to have two packs or troops at the same Instition. The program is there to help them deliver their mission to youth. Not everyone can make a set meeting of say Tuesday nights, but to serve more youth they decide to start a unit that meets Thursday nights.

As to adults being in multiple units, there are a few cases this could be good, ( i.e. a facilities person who coordinates all the meeting dates or a chaplain who coordinates religious emblems programs) but generally think it stifles the units.

OK Pro : Only 1 meeting per month

Con : Since the odds of each committee member having a child in each unit are extremely remote, you have people running units who have no real vested interest in them other than that they are scouting. Not that this is always a bad thing, but you need to let the people in the unit work with the unit. Involvement of the families is key in any scouting program. You can't have that if you only have 1 master group running everything.

• 2 weeks later...

As with untis being different from each other so are our Chartered Organzations. Each one runs its programs differently. I am an Institutional Head for my Chartered Organization. We have one (1) committee for all out Scout units. This saves us time with the parents who are involved and the use of facilities that are not owned by us.

Yes, there are drawbacks to what we are doing but in the last 4 years. Our parents are more active now than when we had three separate committees. Since each Scouting program has different committments from the committee, that determines how long we spend in each program area doing our committee meetings.

Now as for My units. We have a Webelos-only Pack. We do not recruit Tigers, Wolves, and Bears as traditional packs do. We have a traditional Scout Troop, and a High Adventure Co-ed Venturing Crew. Becuase of the way we have set up the organziation. Our Parents and Friends Committee enjoys the program as the Venturers and Scouts have planned it.

Each of our units are different.

Having Fun,

Matua