• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My three favorites:

"All that is necesary for the triumpth of evil is that good men to do nothing." (my father, quoting Winston Churchill, I believe)

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man has stumbled. Or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with dust, and sweat, and blood. And who, if he fails, at least failed while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

And the last is a story printed in Readers Digest @ 10 years ago called Mike's Flag. It is a story about a man who was punished severly for fashioning an American Flag from crude materials while in a POW camp in Viet Nam, and immediately set upon making another. I believe this has been attributed to one of the men in John McCain's POW camp.

It is difficult to keep a Scoutmaster minute from being corny. but the ones that avoid that fate are unbelievably imressive to young men.

• 10 months later...

You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you just might find, you get what you need. ~Mick Jagger

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and try to put things in it. ~Terry Pratchett, The Bromeliad

(This message has been edited by acco40)

• 2 weeks later...

I have this inspirational piece on a plaque in my home and thought that it would make a great Scoutmaster Minute. It looks long but truly takes under 1 minute even when read slowly and meaningfully. It is food for thought...

TAKE TIME....

Take time to think...

it is the source of power.

Take time to play...

it is the secret of perpetuel youth.

Take time to read...

it is the fountain of wisdom.

Take time to pray...

it is the greatest power on earth.

Take time to love and be loved...

it is a God-given privilege.

Take time to be friendly...

it is the road to happiness.

Take time to laugh...

it is the music of the soul.

Take time to give...

it is too short a day to be selfish.

Take time to work...

it is the price of success.

Take time to do charity...

it is the key to heaven.

(Author unknown)

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.

I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean.

The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion.

To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.

The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice.

When you break the big laws, you do not get freedom; you do not even get anarchy. You get the small laws.

Love means loving the unlovable - or it is no virtue at all.

It has been often said, very truely, that religion is the thing that makes the ordinary man feel extraordinary; it is an equally important truth that religion is the thing that makes the extraordinary man feel ordinary.

Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable.

There is a case for telling the truth; there is a case for avoiding the scandal; but there is no possible defense for the man who tells the scandal, but does not tell the truth.

You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion.

For it is a sin against the reason to tell men that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive; and when once they believe it, they travel hopefully no longer.

-All quotes by G.K. Chesterton. :)