Thank you for all your effort to remember those lost in the attack of 9/11. As I view the memorials today the tears still fall as the towers, the plane in PA, and the Pentagon walls fell. We've lost more military due to the attack that fateful day, we'll continue to lose lives until the world begins to join together instead of allowing jealousy and greed to dominate!

Prayers for all those lost, those affected by the attacks!

My son's troop had its annual planning meeting at summer camp this year. While I was there to pick up my son, the SM said to a group of us parents that the first troop meeting after the summer break would be on September 11. He did not say it with any irony or fanfare, he could have been telling us about a meeting on September 25 or June 12 or any other day.

At that moment I realized that it was the first time in almost two years that I had heard anyone mention the date "September 11" as a date on the calendar, for a regular, routine event. Before then (and even since then), all references to September 11 were either to the events of 9/11/01 or to events (last year or this year) to commemorate the anniversary. But at that moment, it was just another day. I guess we cannot cut this day out of the calendar as a day to live our normal lives, but it just didn't sound quite right. When I am at tonight's troop meeting, I don't think it is going to feel quite right, either. I do not know if the SM or the boys have anything planned to mark the date. I do know that we have a camping trip this weekend for which very little advance planning appears to have been done (other than to determine, by phone, who is going) so I imagine the meeting will probably revolve around that. Just another meeting.

I do know that when I was driving to work this morning and listening to the ceremonies in New York with children reading the names of the deceased, including their own fathers or mothers, it sure did not seem like just another day. I don't think it ever will, at least not for a long time.

9/11/2001 still feels like an open wound to me. Not because I lost anyone or knew anyone personally who died. I would probably feel the pain even more keenly were that the case.

A friend of mine is the Scout Executive of the Monmouth County Council -- in New Jersey. He went to funerals for 17 key volunteers after 9/11 and I'm sure he feels the pain far more than I do.

I agree with packsaddle that we move forward in the world and do our thing, but I also think it is important that we never, ever forget the evil that was done on that day and strive to stamp it out wherever it may be.

Maybe my reactions are wierd, I don't know. I tend to tear up when I think of those who lost their lives on 9/11 -- but it doesn't take long for anger to jump through the tears with an epithet I won't repeat here.

The flag that has been on our front porch column since 9/11 was too worn to fly and we took it down at the end of last month. The new one went up today -- and then halfway back down until tomorrow.

Thanks, Hops, for starting this thread.

May we never forget . . .

DS

Well, it's over, and another day begins...

It was tough getting through the day. You see, we did lose a family member that day. And since that day, just within the past few months, we've lost yet another who was ever so much closer to that person than I. And even now, some in the family have trouble seeing any day as another day on the calendar. For one or two, each and every day is a trial, and the rest of the family strives to lift their spirits and assist in aiming their focus.

NJ's correct in his assessment that that one particular day shall forever be stained and remain much the same as...say Dec. 7...having far more meaning than just another day on the calendar.

But move forward we must, and we will, all of us.

But I fear that even now, only 24 months removed from the day, Americans, in their well intended efforts to get past the hurt, have begun to forget. Not just forgetting those who were lost, but forgetting the damage done to the nation that day. For me and those close by, it's very personal, and always will be. And others can not see through my/our eyes unless they have been there...in some way, within their own lives. We understand that. But we do trust that, ultimately, the nation will not forget, and the focus of ridding ourselves of the evil, any evil that begets the carnage wrought, will be our goal...always.

And with that, we move forward.

Peace.