Photos on the internet...?

Tell ya what I did. 1st I created a Facebook page (Marion BSA 172) got people to sign a form stating it was ok to post pictures. More and more people requested a "Closed Group" so that only members of the pack could see he pictures.

So I am in the process of moving pics from Marion BSA 172 to a Members only Group but I will leave the Marion BSA 172 up for information and advertising just NOT pics.

Jason, It's against YP rules to have a closed Facebook group for BSA. I agree that it's silly, as long as parents are part of it, but a rule is a rule.

To help ensure that all communication on social media channels remains positive and safe, these channels must be public, and all communication on or through them must be public. This enables administrators to monitor all communication and help ensure there is no inappropriate communication between adult leaders and Scouts or between Scouts themselves. Therefore, no private channels (e.g., private Facebook groups or invite-only YouTube channels) are acceptable in helping to administer the Scouting program.

http://www.scouting.org/home/marketing/resources/socialmedia.aspx

This might seem hyper-technical, but it's not against YP rules, it's against the "Boy Scouts of America Social Media Guidelines." There is a thread discussing this from when that document was first issued. The point is someone who reviews YP guidelines out of concern over this might never discover these Guidelines.

You can upload photos to Costco's website and then share that photo album with the troop. I'm pretty sure the only people who can access those albums are ones who are personally invited.

I really wish BSA provided something more than platitudes when it publishes guidelines like the one about private FB groups. What's the difference between a private FB group and a troop website whose access is password protected? And when you use a phrase like "administering the scouting program" do they really mean troops and packs or is this maybe a guideline for camps, councils, districts, etc?

I would not sign a Communications blue card for most of the examples of communication that comes out of National.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Still using Picasa. It now is mashed up with Google+ photos, which has advantages and disadvantages. For example, you can share an album with overlapping groups (circles) pretty easy. On the other hand, integrating a sideshow into your website may work for some devices, not others.

Also I don't post volumes of photos. I do like shutterfly's stuff.

Just came across this thread, its something we've been dealing with this side of the pond as well.

Historically we used Picasa which we found quite useful in terms of restricting access. However when it got mashed up into Google + it became a complete nightmare to use and actually caused us to have a complete rethink. We now make all photos fully public on our group website.

If you are up for doing that then it is possible to integrate picassa/google+ albums with your website. We have a word press site and they have a plug in called Aplinepress which"talks" to google + (I'm not a techie so bare with me)

The big advantage is that you get what is effectively unlimited stored photos that comes with google+ with wordpress visibility and useability. Only downside is that photos taken in portrait get displayed in landscape and we've not yet figured out how to fix that particular annoyance"!