Photos on the internet...?

Does anyone share photos of Troop events & activities on the internet? If so, how?

I've been looking at Flickr, but wonder if I can control access to Troop members only. Are there better ways to securely share photos?

Thanks!

Troopmaster has a photo feature.

As a graphics pro, I use Photobucket, which can have passworded and public galleries.

I'd use older photos for recruitment. Current photos of younger children raise the stalker issue.

Whenever you put a photo online, you are effectively relinquishing control over it. You may restrict viewing to members of a certain group, but you can't keep them from copying, saving or sending it to whomever they want - at least I haven't come across any software that'll allow you to do that.

Shortridge is right.

You can prevent downloading, but not copying. The snipping tool in Windows 7 or the 'Print Screen' button in earlier OSs enable anyone with a little savy to copy whatever shows on their monitor.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I envision on-line photo access for the Troop -- Scouts and their families and Scouters. I really do not want anyone else to have access to the photos. I do not care if those who have access copy or save the photos, in fact it's fine if they do.

Myself and other adults take lot's of digital photos on outings and at Troop events. I would like the Troop, especially the Scouts and their families to be able to see these photos.

Photos of your troop are an excellent recruiting tool. We publish our outing and event photos on the troop website and have heard from many a prospective scout and family that they viewed those photos to see what our outing program looked like. Some were sold on our troop merely by the photos. We do have the parents sign a waiver that expressly indicates their desire for their son to be shown or not. We also do not use more than a first name in any caption.

SMT224,

If it is that large of a concern, then how about this as an alternative. Have each person taking photos provide the Troop Historian with copies. He can organize them by month and event and provide each family with a DVD at year's end. A christmas present from the Troop. That way, they are not on the internet, but everyone gets to see the pictures.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm really not trying to make access a huge deal and get all hyper about it, I just would prefer to limit access to the Troop, and not do a wide broadcast of the photos.

Limited access appears to be completely opposite of what many of the web photo sharing sites want to do - that is to share widely!

I appreciate the info provided here, and am leaning toward Photo Bucket, although Picasa is interesting as well.

• 2 years later...

My Pack is looking for a new photo sharing website so I'll bring back this thread from 2 years ago (otherwise known as a lifetime on the internet:-). We have been using Snapfish which works well for viewing the photos and has a good price (free). But it costs money for a parent to download an image of their son. We want to move to a site that allows parents to download for free, even if that means we need to move to a site that the Pack pays for. We also use ScoutLander as the primary Pack website, but I've never really liked it for photo hosting.

Suggestions?

Are the Photo Bucket and Picasa sites still the ones of choice?

Thank you for any help,

FTB

My Pack is looking for a new photo sharing website so I'll bring back this thread from 2 years ago (otherwise known as a lifetime on the internet:-). We have been using Snapfish which works well for viewing the photos and has a good price (free). But it costs money for a parent to download an image of their son. We want to move to a site that allows parents to download for free' date=' even if that means we need to move to a site that the Pack pays for. We also use ScoutLander as the primary Pack website, but I've never really liked it for photo hosting. Suggestions? Are the Photo Bucket and Picasa sites still the ones of choice? Thank you for any help, FTB[/quote']

We use Shutterfly. We can password protect the site so only parents can get in. Parents can download the hi-res images. If they want prints they can get them (for a price) or any of the other stuff the site sells. Has worked very well for us for two years.

Still using Picasa. It now is mashed up with Google+ photos, which has advantages and disadvantages. For example, you can share an album with overlapping groups (circles) pretty easy. On the other hand, integrating a sideshow into your website may work for some devices, not others.

Also I don't post volumes of photos.

I do like shutterfly's stuff.

I forgot to mention that Shutterfly has a website function that allows you to create a secure website and then load photos, video or albums over to the site. The website is based on templates like Blogger but can be customized. You can link in Blogger and Shutterfly with each other too. Pretty cool. They have apps that allow you to upload photos on mobile devices to your site or albums.

I had tried a number of other services before we settled on this. Has served us well.

My Pack is looking for a new photo sharing website so I'll bring back this thread from 2 years ago (otherwise known as a lifetime on the internet:-). We have been using Snapfish which works well for viewing the photos and has a good price (free). But it costs money for a parent to download an image of their son. We want to move to a site that allows parents to download for free, even if that means we need to move to a site that the Pack pays for. We also use ScoutLander as the primary Pack website, but I've never really liked it for photo hosting.

Suggestions?

Are the Photo Bucket and Picasa sites still the ones of choice?

Thank you for any help,

FTB

Photobucket 'upgraded' their system to make it more friendly to social media. I hate the upgrade. I will not be renewing my Photobucket Pro account when it expires.