Does anyone have material they would be willing to share covering Den Chief Training? We had an adult who was going to do a Troop version of this (our Council's DC training never seems to coincide with our need to train Den Chiefs in the late summer / early fall). but she has unfortunately let us down and I have been asked to do this training. I only have 8 days to prepare. I could probably come up with something from my experience as a Den Leader, but I'd rather use real information than stuff I make up.

Our Council office just confirmed that they either never had, or no longer have, video training on this topic. I've printed a number of good helps from sites I was able to find doing a Google search, but I am hoping someone has all of the material put together in a handy presentation.

Please let me know if you can help.

THANK YOU (ans I meant to scream that!).

Mark

First if you know who is responsible for your district/council training I would get with them to see if they have the syllabus for Den Chief training and will loan it to you or do the training for you. If this does not workout my suggestion is to get a copy of the Den Chief handbook for your self (along with a copy for each den chief). The main emphasize on the training should be the following. First cover the responsibility of a Den Chief. Then cover the different parts of a meeting. Then using the different parts of the meeting explore ideas that can be used in each part. My base outline would be as follows.

*Premeeting____First break the Scouts down into equal Dens of 4-8 boys, give them their books and explain the different parts of a Den Meeting

*Gathering_____Learn and Play several games and tell the Scouts where they can find rules for others

*Opening_______Demonstrate serval different flag/opening ceremonies and have each Den come up with their own and Demonstrate it.

*Activity______Teach the Scouts a few different craft projects and have them do them.

*Pack Planning_Have each Den learn at least one song and one skit and perform them for the group

*Closing_______Show the Scouts different types of closings and have each Den perform one of their choosing

*After Meeting_Explain the Den Chief award and open the floor for questions and answers.

Thanks, great reply. I hesitated asking anyone from Council, figuring I might be stepping on someone's toe.

I was particularly glad to see a couple of sugestions that included the potential Den Chief's participation. I have a real aversion to doing presentations that involve all lecture, but I had almost no ideas myself for trying to make this more hands on.

The time frame that your ideas need might be longer than I have been given, but that may just mean I have to ask for more time. but in the meantime, any other ideas, anyone?

Thanks so much.

Mark

Your district training chair or council training chair can help you with this. They will know experienced people that have delivered Den Chief training. You can get the syllabus from the National Supply Division (800) 323-0732, item # 34450. They can ship it FedX overnight.