Release for website

our unit website hasnt published pictures of scouts yet. we want to share pictures taken by the many shutter-bugs and I have looked for a sort of release to cover us. the BSA site has the following - http://www.scouting.org/webmasters/webstandards/appendix-a.aspx

it looks like this is set up for a single event - and we would like to do one for an entire year. yeah - i may be a little cautious, but i would err on the safe side.

what have you used?

YIS,

jeff

Are you using the photos to sell a product or service? Who took them, How did you obtain them? Do you intend to identify any minors in the photos?(I would hope not!)

Based on these answers it is likely that a photo release is not needed.

no - the pictures would only be of scouts and their families in the regular activities - meetings, awards and recognition, campouts, derby etc...

the pictures would be taken by any of the members. i usually bring a camera, and a few other parents always have a camera handy. our pack tries to do regular outdoor activities every month and we always have great pics. last year a parent made a slideshow and set it to music. it would have been nice to post that so people could download and burn to a cd/dvd and view at home or send to relatives

the purpose is simply to show interested parties what the pack does and even let the scouts see themselves online if they would like. (IE - hey grandpa - go to our website and see me - i just earned my bobcat)

the scouts would be identified by their first name and last initial only. (IE Jeff D wins the pinewood derby)

We have all members sign a general release as part of their initial paperwork that photos may be used to promote the troop. i.e. posted on troop website, used on CO bulletin board published in the little community paper one of the moms writes for. These are usually recognitions or troop type photos and we are always careful not to share too much personal information.

We have something similar to what our school uses. It basically states that by checking a certain box and signing, the parent agrees that it is okay for us to take photographs, and/or video tape their child at Pack and Den events and activities. That we will be posting the photos on the Pack website. Very short and sweet. We have yet to have a parent that does not agree.

However, we do not identify the boys in any manner. This was a policy that our Pack Committee wanted. Every Pack is different in that regard.

I'm going to hijack the topic here and ask a simular question. what would you do if the Troop took video of an event, did not use names or other identifiers except Troop number and then posted it on you tube?

JeffD, we checked over the BSA site to see what recommendations they had (see the link ScoutNut provided in the previous post), and then our Committee voted on a Website & Print Policy, and a Release form. I can share what we use - just PM me with your email addy.