Scouting.org website - thoughts, suggestions?

I recently posted the message below on US Scouts' forum and was directed to Scouter by one of your moderators. I'd love to have your feedback.

Hey guys, I recently took over the Webmaster position at the National Council (about 6 months ago on a contract basis)and I'm trying to get some "free form" feedback on ways to improve the site(s)that we currently manage and get you the information you need organized in a cohesive order.

We have a survey posted on the front page of scouting.org if you would like to participate, but I would like to capture your opinions as the front line guys/gals on the design, organization, features in more detail here as we well.

I'd like to highlight a few of the changes we've made over the last few months:

RSS Feeds - What's hot, Cubcast and the Commisioner's Podcasts are already available as RSS feeds and we are looking at making more available.

FileStore - For the webmasters out there: All images, files etc are in the process of being moved to a central file location and naming convention. What this means is that if you happen to know the image name, file extension and file name you can point your website to this location. Files are organized by file type in an easy to use stand. For example, www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/13-239.pdf will get you the New Den Leader pdf. This should enable you to also easily locate any document that you need by bin number.

Google Search - Scouting.org is currently being indexed via a google appliance and is fully searchable via the search field on the page headers. This allows you to find articles, forms etc much easier than the previous search feature.

Widgets - As you may already know, the Boys Life team has been working on producing some great widgets for their site. Check them out at www.boyslife.org/home/2401/put-boyslifeorg-on-your-website/ . We are looking at creating similar widgets that you could place on your sites if you choose to do so. We have identified a few that we are tackling first - Cubcast, Value of Scouting and Health and Safety Alerts. I'd like your opinions on any info that you would like to see as a widget to make your lives easier.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

- Chad

I have noticed a big improvement in the website. Good job! One thing I have always wished for is the ability to download BSA pubs in .pdf format to my hard drive. A CD with all BSA pubs on it would be nice, too. In this electronic age, we, of all organizations, should minimize the killing of trees!

I'm not sure I could get a cd funded, but I can post a couple of .zip files on the media FTP site with all our exiting .pdf and .doc's on the website.

The majority of the files are listed by bin # and there may be some "bad data" in the form of brochures and other publications that you wouldn't want/need in the download, but I think it's worth a shot.

I'll get something together this week and we'll test it. I hope you guys have broadband...lol

As an FYI, I would like to know what you guys typically use Scouting.org for if at all.

If/When you visit, what types of information are you typically looking for?

PDF files may be downloaded by right-clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As..." Perhaps add a line or two at the bottom of the page with instructions for those that don't know how to do it.

A CD sounds great, but would quickly become out of date as publications are added or updated. I'd rather download specific files than an entire zipped collection. I've downloaded collections of clip art for example, 95% of which I don't want and it clutters up the HD.

The new Scouting site looks great.

MyScouting seems to be implemented rather slowly.

As far as documents: As best I see, just about every bin item is available online (bin items have a dash in the item number and may be locally reproduced). Non-bin items, with a few exceptions, have never been available online. With the Guide to Safe Scouting, the Insignia Guide and the Boy Scout Requirements no online, perhaps this is changing.

My experience is that PDFs create more printed documents. I'm in the printer business and I have printed thousands of documents for district training.

What would be nice would be an index to all downloadable documents.

I did not know about the Boys' Life widgets. I will look at adding them to the troop and district websites.

Ed

The site is easy to follow. Info is easy to find.

I just wish we could download more. Publications change too frequently. The latest Special Needs manual included a statement that updates would be placed online. Can't it be done with all publications?

The Commissioner podcasts and National meeting presentations haven't been updated for months. What's up? I'd really like to see these as regularly as Cubcast.

There was also a note that a national format for websites might be rolled out for councils, districts, and units. Do you have any ideas if or when this might happen?

When I went looking for forms recently, I found a nice "Forms" link on the sitemap, but it was for Cub Scout Forms. There should be an easier way to find the Boy Scout forms -- I dug around and found them, but it wasn't very easy.

We're looking at ways to organize the existing forms and data to make it easier to find exactly what you're looking for. One of the ideas is to list the forms by program group under a leader category, parent category and possibly scouter.

Ed - We do have a feedback mechanism, but as you can image, 80-90% is general external to BSA policy/criticism and frankly some really weird rambling emails. We try to read through the responses fairly regularly and respond to those that are appropriate. The feedback form is listed in the footer on all pages and can be accessed here as well. http://www.scouting.org/Media/Feedback.aspx

I'm going to start an error topic here. It would really help me get what I need from trusted sources.

I like the fact that you did away with frames.

Too often, a well-meaning Scouter would look up an item and post the link here, but the link was to the frame, not the to document or page itself. I see that the search results now take you directly to the page or document, with no frame URL to confuse the issue. I've never cared for frames for that very reason.

Thanx for your work and for offering to take feedback from us.

I have two things I'd like.

1. As a District Commissioner, I'd really like the Unit Visit Tracking tool to be fixed and put back in service.

2. As a Unit Scouter, I'd like the My Scouting section beefed up. Namely, I'd like to see the Online Tour Permit added.

Thanks,

SWScouter

I totally missed the feedback link.

And yes, I can image the weird and vitriolic stuff that probably comes in through that form. I edit the BSA articles on Wikipedia, where some really odd vandalism occurs.

Ed

Perhaps you would get less garbage in the email about the site if there was a way to ask a question or make comments on the web site. You can look for a long time before you find a phone number (sic!)or any way to contact the National Office. Maybe some sort of feedback mechanism would work well on the program. Break it up into Cubs, Scouts, Venturing, etc and then a General group. Having the website is like being able to reach out to Irving, but there is no way to contact anyone.

I have used the web site frequently to answer questions on Advancement and how to define active