Troop web site -- frustrations! guidelines?

Our district does have some guidelines in place that can earn the unit website a certifed status from the district. The link to their site is: http://www.sycamorebsa.com/Guidelines.htm

Our unit website, which I first created and turned over a year and a half ago, is www.orgsites.com/il/troop159.

Orgsites is a location that allows for tons of help and simpilfication of methods.

• 2 months later...

I made our troop website 2 years ago and we all don't know how we ever lived without it!

Anything with a name goes on the Secure side and all the parents get the password at any meeting. This is where all the photos go, too.

This is our host: http://www.scoutwebservices.com/

They are great! Easy to use and very helpful. And cheap.

check us out at www.troop5bsa.org

Kayak Girl -

How did you set up the secure area? The last time I looked into doing something similar for our site (www.pack766.net), it didn't seem very straightforward. We've worked around it in part by setting up photos on Wal-Mart and limiting the login/password distribution.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mary

When I made the list of pages for the left hand side of the Home page I named one of them Secure Area. The company that hosts our site set up the password-user name part of that page.

Now when I add anything to the secure area I just make sure I save the new page to the secure area file. Then everyone has to go through the password stuff to get to it.

This is our host: http://www.scoutwebservices.com/

They understand Scouting and are very helpful.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, that answers it, but doesn't get me any closer. My husband has an IT business and does our hosting. I built the website in html and if I want a password-protected area I need to figure it out on my own. I have seen instructions for one option on-line, but haven't pursued it. At the moment we're getting along fine without it, but I think we could make the site more useful if we could include contact information for the leaders, for instance.

Thanks for your reply.

• 8 months later...

Did everyone find a solution to this?

Out of necessity and out of a need to keep track of my kids scouting activities, (oldest just received his arrow of light!!) I built a site that could be used by all three of my kids (they are each at a different level, scout type ie., gs also)

www.smdscouts.com

I offer nothing hidden! Heck, I dont even email you!

my sons pack www.carypack457.org

Question....contact me

sharon

support@smdscouts.com