Jamboree OTI / JOTA

Just a quick note to Scouts & Scouters online that I'll be looking for info re this years Jamboree of the Internet & Jamboree of the Air(waves) in the next few days. (I remember the Ham hookups from when I was kid.) I stumbled across the Internet activity three years ago & have participated on a personal basis ever since. Many units have been able to get a # of PC's together or sign up to use library or school resources.

I haven't been able to sell "the" Pack and troop on it yet, so I don't have any more experience than at this keyboard! My recollection is that the Internet program runs the third weekend of October but I might be mistaken.

I'll put up links as soon as I get good info; if anyone else has already teed off "Please, play through!"

Bob

Hi Guys,

Jamboree on the Air is a great event for the boys. Last year was the first year that we participated in it and our boys just loved it.

One of our ASMs, who had been a SM for MANY years hooked us up for it last year and brought in 3 ham operators to show the boys how to do it.

We'll definitely be doing it again this year !!!

For more infom go to http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=by , then clock on the Events icon, then on the Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) icon for all the details.

It does run the 3rd full weekend of October, on the 18th and 19th.

Hope to hear ya there !!!

Kris(This message has been edited by silver-shark)

We run JOTI / JOTA at the same time (3rd weekend of Oct) every year as a multi Troop / Pack event at a school. We camp there and run other activities for those not so keen on the I or A. This year I am running a 3 hr paddle three or four times over as an example.

Always a hit with us. This year we hope to be in touch with Red Feathers Troop on our own chat room but there are also international rooms set up that we have used in the past. Our national people coord this for us and we just hook on to it.

Thanks for feeding the fire. I gathered the tinder on Saturday before I started chores outside & never got back to my pc until this a.m. SilverShark's link looked good & I'll try to pull more on JOTI. As I noted we've never run it as a unit activity., but it sure seems to have potential.

Bob

If you are looking for information on a great place for Jamboree On The Internet (JOTI) go to www.scoutlink.net

This is a worldwide network of volunteers who work together to provide a safe place for scouts, guides, and their leaders to come together and chat. The servers are online 24/7/365.

We will have extra servers online for the JOTI weekend.

The network is Internet Relay Chat (IRC) based and you will need a IRC client. more information is on the website.

In past years I have chatted with folks from every continent execpt antartica and chats with some scouters in Australia eventually lead to a trip to the 2001 Australian Scout Jamboree

If you have more questions on scoutlink please email me

ak_eagle@hotmail.com

Phillip Martin

aka AK-Eagle

Scoutmaster Troop 21, Juneau, Alaska

Country Coordinator USA

www.scoutlink.net

looks like it might be time for me to step aside...

but seriously I imagine that w/ the right resources you might route 5 or 6 dens trhrough a single 6 pc's throughout the afternoon. As Phillip noted you can "meet" people from al over the world, but be warned Time zones can be tricky!

Thanks AK-Eagle!

Bob