National Website

To all you web gurus out there:

So what's the difference between java server pages (current setup) vs. active server pages (new setup)?

Will we as users really notice any difference, other than breaking any deep-links we may have?

Java is an older technology, and can be free if hosted on an Apache server (or other open source tools) or can be hosted by vendors such as IBM WebSphere or Sun Microsystems (inventor of Java).

ASP (ASP.NET specifically) is the same thing my site uses (ScoutData.Com) and it's a Microsoft solution. It's newer, they recently just released the latest 2008 editions of the development, database, and server environments. However, the Microsoft stuff can generally cost a great deal more (unless you are using the IBM Java solution), but being a non-profit, is difficult to speculate.

What is really interesting about this is not the technology, but what that change represents. Generally, you are a .NET developer or a Java developer (I assume multiple people work on the BSA infrastructure), however some have switched sides, but rarely concurrently. I'm curious if the original site was developed by an outside organization and managed by BSA (aka consulting/contracting), or perhaps is now outsourcing it and selected a Microsoft toolset.

Either way, being biased and preferring Microsoft development technology, I see this as an upgrade and glad to hear they are making the switch. Hopefully their development teams are in-house and this wasn't a major expense. Also if they need any help with MyScouting, my team would gladly volunteer, hehe.

Yours in Scouting,

Phillip Zedalis

Lead Developer - ScoutData.Com

What is occurring is just a technology change. The "look" may be a slightly different but the content won't be changing much at all.

The National council is moving to a commercial enterprise content management system. This allows managing the content of the Web site though a Web browser. Basically the layers of design, technology, and content are separated. This allows stakeholders to more directly maintain the Web site.

The current (old) Web site was maintained for many years in-house. It is my understanding the person who ran it left sometime last year to peruse other opportunities. The new site was likely initially setup by consultants from the company that makes the content management system purchased. This is standard practice since it would take a lot of overhead for an existing IT department to get everything rolling.

As for the technology change from Java to ASP.NET, it's not a big deal. I've worked with Java and .NET for a few years. In this case there will be no significant difference as the new and old site used JSP/ASP for relatively static content.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just notified of an update:

Changes to Scouting.org

On February 4, 2008, changes will be made to the Scouting.org Web site that will require your Webmaster to update links on your council Web site. The URLs that point to pages on Scouting.org will be changing; as a result, any Web sites that point to these pages must be updated.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

The National website scouting.org appears updated, though Search still does not work for me.

Nice to see a "Guideline for using Cannons", as I have sensed a less-than-manly artillery gap between my troop and other troops with a full field artillery unit. Remember we are not a military unit nor are we to wear military-like uniforms unless we are, of course, Sea Scouts.

http://scouting.org/HealthandSafety/Alerts/cannons.aspx

Sea Scouts are not the only scouts authorized to wear military uniforms. Many reenacting crews do as well. There are enough of them to make reference to the crews involved with artillery pieces to necessitate the documentation of guidelines for these groups.

Stosh