TroopTracker.org

My troop has switched from Troop Master to Troop Tracker, and it has been a huge relief. If anyone knows about these programs, they are basically troop organization programs no troop should be without. Troop Tracker has helped my troop greatly. Hopefully, it will help yours out.

Check it out at http://trooptracker.org!

Thanks

Chase

Chase,

Troop Tracker looks like a pretty new program. When did you switch to it? Has it been a bug-free experience? The first users often are the ones that find the obscure bugs that the testers missed.

What's your position in the troop and what use do you make of Troop Tracker? And why do you think it's better than TroopMaster? Was there some pain point with TroopMaster that is completely fixed with Troop Tracker that provides the huge relief?

Some of their web site is still under construction. Is it really ready to go? E.g. FAQ, Legal, Support, Client Testimonials. I'm really not excited about buying a software product where the support page is still under construction.

Well Oak, it is a pretty new program. A troop we knew was beta testing it and they told us about it. We switched a few months ago. So far, we haven't experienced many bugs, but the minor bugs we did have were quickly fixed.

We get support through the contact page.

Troop Master was a good program, yes, but Troop Master is just a big upgrade. I am an Assistant Scout Master in my troop and I interact with it quite a bit. Some things that are better for my troop, since we are kind of low on funding is that upgrades do not cost anything, so it is just a one time fee and there are many more features in it. I personally handle the tour permits and permission forms, and they can all be automatically created.

The site will tell you more about its features.

Now I do not know what that means, but if it is a big deal, you may want to email the creator of the program. All I know is it is much more user friendly than Troop Master.

There is a 6 month trial download on their site too, if you are hesitant in buying it.

ScoutNET is indeed a show stopped for some, however not all units/councils utilize it, so it's not the end of the World. *Shameless plug* My software will be able to import ScoutNET files, but not export. The reason is, BSA has allowed TroopMaster to become a monopoly in the ScoutNET space. There were originally 4-5 software packages that became "ScoutNET" certified, yet only 2 remain; TroopMaster and one as unknown as "Troop Tracker."

The direction I took, and personally I believe is the future, is a web based platform with desktop integration, as opposed to a desktop product with web integration (if at all, TM DotNet does not count). Being web based, its much easier to deploy updates and use alternative revenue models to make up for the costs, and then providing the ability to go offline and sync, well... that's the future.

No offense to the authors of TroopTracker, but like the poster said above, they haven't found the time to finish their site. From a development perspective, I'd say that app is 95% generic CRM with a screen where Scouts was bolted on. Atleast TroopMaster and my product were designed from the group up for Scouts...

Anyway, your mileage may vary. Good to see alternatives coming about.

Yours In Scouting,

Phillip Zedalis

Lead Developer - ScoutData.Com

These reasons still do not lower the programs potential in any way.

All the features in the program are amazing and have helped my troop greatly.

Also, the program you have developed seems good, if internet connection stays up most of the time. It isn't 100 % reliable, as isn't many things, but at least programs actually on a server or computer can be more reliable than an internet program.