Unit website questions

Hi - That is a good question. I would agree w/ Semper. I think of webpages as I do a newsletter except that webpages might be accecced by more people. If you feel you need permission for a newsletter, then certainly for web pages. However, I took it upon myself w/ help from some scouts to start both newsletter and webpages w/out asking our CO (The American Legion) we use it as to tool to tell them what great/ fun things the scouts are doing (mostly for the benifit of asking for $$$ support). We also use it as a communication toop within the troop and troughout the community. most important...respect copyright laws and make sure that each person whos picture you paost has sighned a release form.

spinnaker

Involving and informing the CO is always appropriate. They might even want to link their web site with yours...It is also a good way to communicate with the CO...

Releases are a good idea, along with the Pack committee's blessings for the endeaver...do not surprise your committee...they may want to see a pack web policy developed first...(been there and seen that) they might also be more cautious that you and you should work that out first.

BUT WEB SITES ARE VERY GOOD TOOLS

Anarchist is right. I ran with my projects because I'm in the marketing field and so far no one else has stepped up to the plate. Our CO has no web site. But i have to stress... YOU MUST GET RELEASE FORMS SIGNED. You can open yourself up to legal problems if you don't. There are parents who do not want their childrens pictures used in print/video or on the web.

yis

spinnaker

On a related note, our unit has a "members only" website. Only members approved by the website moderators (currently the SM & CC) may view the site. Therefore, it is not a public viewing area and as such what rules or guidelines would be applicable? The BSA doesn't specifically address that issue to my knowledge.

Obviously, a members only website is not great for advertising but the benefit is that it does work very well as a communication tool. The site does include files which contain information about the youth (current advancement records, telephone numbers, etc.) that we would not put on a public site. Currently, only parents of Scouts in the troop are members.(This message has been edited by acco40)

We have parents sign two general release permission slips when they join the troop. One is for medical treatment (probably not worth the paper it's on, but still done). The other is for release to use their picture in print and online media. It does state that no personal information will ever be disclosed. We update these forms every year or so just to keep updated copies on file.

Hi eagle ,

A privite site is another matter. I'm not a webmaster so I can't talk about specifics but as long as its secure, you should be ok. Our troop uses e-mail for the same info I'll e-mail advancement info or phone # to an ASM for example. I've also e-mailed pictures of folks who did not sign releases. Ex we took some neat pictures of an ourdoor winter survival training weekend. I e-mailed some to other participants (just to view). But I would'nt t

post on the web or print out in a newsletter, I

acco40

web site can be both. Ours has general information and scouting links in the public area and troop only stuff... schedules, forms, info etc. on a pass word protected area.

Seems to be working really well. We also have an associated email site on the same server to allow anyone to email the adult leaders and if necessary the troop parents with just two addresses...but we are beginning to get bounce backs as folks increase their spam filters.