My den mother never looked like this . . .

Thanks for posting that link. It seems Scouting is getting a lot of good coverage.

BTW: We had a cook at camp way back in the day that we thought looked as good as that Den Mother. I think it was a case of youthful optimism.

Thank goodness my Den Mother didn't look like that - I would have run off screaming into the afternoon, never to return...and I liked my mother's cooking.

No, seriously - this is one scary looking Den Leader - though I'm sure she's a perfectly nice woman and it's all the photographers fault for making her up and posing her looking like a clown.

That photo was from a publicity opportunity the BSA and Oscar de la Renta put on, at the time of the new uniform design. Ms. Hall is wearing the female *Boy Scouter* uniform, not with Mr. de la Renta's hat, but with the previous overseas style hat.

The original 1981 uniform redesign had both female Boy Scout and Cub Scout leaders in a yellow blouse. Boy Scout leaders wore green trousers/shorts/skirts. Cub Scout leaders wore blue. A couple years later was when the tan blouse, with a strong resemblance to the male shirt debuted.

The yellow den leader shirt, depending on which batch of fabric used, was almost to by gosh entirely see through. My ex-wife always wore a white turtle neck shirt with it.

The slide show was nice that Time has but its caption writers have the National and World Jamborees mixed up. Those shots are from a National Jamboree. All are wearing a national Jambo patches and all are BSA.

When did we have blue troop numbers? In the 50's era scouts they have blue unit numbers?(This message has been edited by Nwscouter)

"When did we have blue troop numbers? In the 50's era scouts they have blue unit numbers?"

Up until about 1955, we had program-specific unit numbers and council/community/state strips. This to make the different uniforms worn by members of each program.

Cub Scouts: yellow on blue strips & numbers

Boy scouts: red on khaki strips, white on red numbers

Explorers: brown on green strips & numbers

Air Scouts/Explorers: royal blue on sky blue strips & numbers

Sea Scouts/Explorers: white on blue & blue on white strips & numbers

So these scouts are wearing Cub numbering on their Boy Scout Shirts? My Cub shirt in 1960 had the red and white numbers, and we have the red & white strips. Seattle and Wash. Then when I moved just north of the city when I was a Boy Scout, the top strip became Innis Arden.

"Some people said she cast a curse on the Rolling Stones and turned them all into dull, ugly, wizened, used-up old men"

Nah... it was the drugs. If they don't kill you you first you end up looking like Mick and Keith. Now that is a cautionary tale.

Hal