Independence Rock Jamboree

In my research, I recently came across a pamphlet by a man who was a Scouter in Idaho in the early days of Scouting. He talks about the Independence Rock Jamboree, held near the rock of the same name in Wyoming in July of 1930. The rock was an important landmark on the Oregon Trail and the event commemorated a 100 year anniversary. Although it was called a jamboree, it would today be called an inter-council camporee. Boys from all around the region attended. James E. West was present all through the event.

I had never heard of this before and the fact that West was in attendance means it had some importance to the BSA (unless he was in the area for some other reason). Has anyone from out that way heard of this event? Is there still an Independence Rock camporee or other event?

I would appreciate any info that anyone might have. The author, Willard Adams, was an LDS leader from the Grand Teton Council.

Around 800 scouts and leaders hiked various parts of the Oregon Trail through 15 states to a celebration at "Independence Rock", Wyoming in the summer of 1930 to celebrate the centennial of the Oregon Trail. Perhaps Mr. West attended the 3 day event noted below.

From the book BOY SCOUTS and the OREGON TRAIL which I have in my personal collection.

"COVERED WAGON CENTENNIAL"

"A Proclamation; by the Governor of Wyoming"

Now near at hand is the significant celebration planned at "Independence Rock" upon July 3, 4, and 5, 1930, as an outstanding feature of the nation-wide observance of the Covered Wagon Centennial.

The young manhood of America has always received inspiration from the romantic figures of those having part in the historic exploits attending the conquest and development of our western country. It is therefore fitting that the Boy Scouts of America should heed the call and join heartily in the celebration of this year............

Therefore, I, Frank C. Emerson, Governor of Wyoming, believing many things combine to make this event at the time of our great national holiday of outstanding significance, call upon our people to give attention to the celebration of the "Covered Wagon Centennial and the National Boy Scout Rendezvous" at Independence Rock ............

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand thise 23rd day of June, A.D. 1930.

Frank C. Emerson, Governor(This message has been edited by skeptic)

Added verification of West's presence. Page 31 of the book noted:

"The last speaker on the program, and to us the most inspiring, was James E. West, our National Chief Scout Executive. He declared that Scouting was a great factor in developing fine citizenship and said that America was still in need of pioneers---in need of boys and young men of vision and ideals." ..............................

There are also a couple of black and white photos with Mr. West in them, one of them as speaker, and the other as one of a group of notables.

Also, in the back of the book is a list of all the scouts and leaders; and Willard Adams is listed as a leader of group 3 from the Eastern Area of Idaho, the town of Rigby.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

• 5 weeks later...

Kahuna;

Just acquired an addition to my Scouting Magazine assortment from June, 1930. The event is featured in this issue, including detailed info on trips and what to take. If you have access to that year, you should read it.

I don't have any old Scouting magazines, but I'll keep my eyes open. Our public library has a lot of them on microfilm, so when my research takes me there next, I'll have a look.

Actually, I don't need any more info for my research, because so much of Adams' booklet is about the Jamboree. But I find these little events interesting.

Thanks again, skeptic.

• 8 years later...

My great grandfather, "Dad" Goodwin, was very involved in scouting in Casper at the turn of the century. He earned the Silver Beaver for his Scouting. My father took me to Independence Rock in the 60's and told me the Grampa Goodwin signed the rock. I am thinking it may have been at this event. 

Does anyone have any information on "Dad" Goodwin by chance?