Scout patch/council patch history?

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I'm trying to find out where to get information on correct insignia from 1974-1977. I can't seem to find any insignia guides from those years and a book by Mitch Reis seems to be out of print. Specifically, I am looking for which Scoutmaster Asst Scoutmaster patches are correct, what Trained patch was used.

Lastly, is there a common site for council history patches? I'm from 172 Hawkeye Area and wanted correct patch. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

Reason you can't find insigna guide from that time period is they didn't exsist back then. Insigna Control Guide was first printed Jan 1978. Searched through almost 1,000 BSA titles on US Copyright site and that was oldest I found.

Trained patches were not used then. The SM/ASM patches were Tenderfoot emblem on green twill,rolled edge. Tenderfoot emblem on fully embroidered green twill, mylar thread designated fully trained.

Had choice back then either R/W council patch or R/W community,state strip.

This site may help: http://www.councilstrip.com/

Was SM 1977-1982 and have the 1978 Insignia Control Guide.

Isn't that the time when the new CSP came out to replace the old R/W. I was scout when they made the big change in 72 and remember trading and buying these new council shoulder patches. One thing I will say is I may not agree with many of the changes they made then, but one thing they did do was bring in a whole lot of color to the uniform.

The oldest one I have is 1973 and I'm pretty sure I had one from the 1960's, which I don't seem to be able to find.

ljnrsu is otherwise correct in what he says. The guide shows both the R/W council strip and the colored ones. There was no Trained strip, but one for Recruiter. As he said, the SM/ASM patches were of two varieties and the mylar one indicated trained.

The guide is not in color, so I don't think it would be worth copying, but if you have any other specific questions about insignia from that period, I'll be glad to look it up.

BTW, the title is "Official Uniforms and Insignia" copyright BSA, North Brunswick, NJ.

I also happened to remember that, in 1970, we were wearing the fully embroidered, color council strips in South Florida Council. I believe that, in 1969, in Gulf Ridge Council, Tampa, we wore R/W council strips to the Jamboree.(This message has been edited by kahuna)

Actually, they did have insignia guides before 1974.

But they are harder to find.

I have a "Uniforms/Insignia Guide" dated 1966. And seen older editions listed.

Also, Mitch Reis is currently working on a new edition of his Guide to Dating uniforms and insignia, but the third edition is still available from him at this website.

Thank you again. One more question: Does anyone know the year the leader patches (SM, ASM, etc.) changed from the older type to the newer type with the green background? (like the ones used today on khaki background)? Thanks.

mfish23; The SM and ASM insignia correct for 1974-77 would be as follows: green fully embroidered background/universal or"tenderfoot" emblem in full color/ Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster embroidered along patch's bottom in a curve/ Border and lettering for SM in silver grey thread...ASM in golden yellow thread. Trained status indicated by mylar silver border and lettering for SM, mylar gold border and lettering for ASM. A trained patch existed that sourced from the 60's, again fully embroidered red background with white lettering for Boy Scout leaders...a blue background with yellow for Cub leaders and a rarely seen dark green background with brown lettering for Explorer leaders.

The above described SM/ASM insignia were in use from 1973 to 1989...they can still be used on uniforms and I know one older SM who still wears his. Hope this helps.