Century of Values Tour Visit - How Did Yours Go?

'm serving on my council's BSA centennial committee, and we recently learned that there is a set of "Century of Values" Tour Teams conducting a nationwide road trip to visit every council to present a copy of a painting commissioned by the Detroit Area Council's centennial committee. How high-profile have these visits been? We're supposed to be visited on June 30th. If your council was visited, how did the visit go?

Here a link about the activity:

http://www.acenturyofvalues.org/media/letter_from_national_bsa.pdf

Didn't hear much about it, except for a blurb on the council website. Just looked at the pictures and didn't see anyone there except the Pros, since they were here on a weekday in the middle of the day. Nice motorhome. Would have been nice to have had some press coverage, or have them stay long enough for people to get over there after work. Guess they're on a tight schedule.

Ours was a nice presentation that was done at the Council Cub Scout Jamboree. The boys seemed interested, the painting is very nice i as well wish i had had the money to get a print, but did get a patch for me and my son.

They came to our council office mid-week, mid-day - I never even knew they were coming and no one I talked to heard anything ahead of time about it.

We did have a Scout friend who just happened to be at the Scout store when the tour came through. With some quick thinking and a couple of phone calls later, our friend invited the tour to stop by their pack/troop location (on the Air Force Base) that evening for a courtesy spaghetti dinner. The bus tour did stop and the boys all got patches and had a nice visit.

But sadly most of us didn't know anything about it until after the fact.

clyde

Thanks Clyde. Most of the reply posts in this thread indicate that there seems to be a bit of a problem in getting advance notice out on this. Since I first posted this thread I've found this website by the organizers that describes the whole "Century of Values" tour program: http://www.acenturyofvalues.org The schedule for the nationwide tour can be found there as well.

A look at the arrival times shows that most of the tour bus arrivals in my area are around 9:30 AM or 2:30 PM. Not the best time to get a crowd together to greet the bus. Well, on the bright side, at least our visit is happening after most schools are out.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents now that our visit has happened. The visiting team drove an RV with a lot of Scouting artwork painted on the exterior. I'm sure it must have caught a lot of drivers' eyes on the highways! I made sure to get a picture of myself with that vehicle right behind me!

As for the visit itself, well, the team made a good presentation on the significance of the tour and the print that was presented to our council, but I was hoping for more words of inspiration directed at the volunteers who attended. I got the patch, but wasn't particularly impressed by its quality.

On a more positive note, our council used the event to good advantage with the press that showed up -- we managed to announce a list of all the public activities we'll be holding in observance of the 100th anniversary and get the list in the news.

I'm proud to say the tour comes from my home council, the Detroit Area Council. Everyone involved is a volunteer and pretty much everyhting was donated by various corporations or individuals.

The folks involved are all top notch Scouters. Many are taking several of their vacation weeks to do a tour of duty on the bus. There are numerous teams of crew members and they switch out every couple of weeks.

I agree the print does cost a few bucks. But it is really beautiful. I scraped the money together and got one when they first came out. It looks great over my fireplace.

The Century of Values Tour was a grass roots project. Frank, who spearheads it, has turned years of dreaming into a wonderful reality. He is a retired professional and truly has a heart for Scouting and the boys.

I hope more Scouts and Scouters get a chance to visit the tour when it comes to your council. Check the link previously noted. Enjoy!

Ken