Museum Display Cabinets?

Hello,

I'm the chairman for a scout museum that opened in 2007. I was asked to head the museum & committee up last year (volunteer). It's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed working on it.

There has been a lot of work and changes made in the past year which I'm proud of. We've just implemented an Activity Program for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts/Ventures. They go through the museum and then complete the activity packet. Upon completion they earn the new activity patch we've created for our museum. We have some great things hapening.

What I want ask is about display cabinets. Currently we have cabinets that do not lock, are not environmentally controlled, can not display uniforms and other items of height. Some cabinets have broken glass or mirrors. Others only have one door. They were donations and I we do appreciate what we have. But we need to make improvements. As you can see I face some issues at this time. We need to get better cabinets. Ultimately I would like ones that have storage areas for items not on display, are tall, can be secured, environmentally controlled, do not need to be attached to a wall and are not overly costly.

That last item is going to be the kicker. We do not have much in funds and need to raise money in order to operate. I am starting to work on possibilities for funds raising. The museum has also purchased a membership with the our state's museum association. There are possibilities for grants and help on how putting displays together etc.

If you have any ideas, suggestions or people of contact that might be helpful, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have another question. Our museum and storage room does not have any kind of fire suppression system. I don't know how or why this was not done. As I stated earlier, I became the chairman last spring, a year after the museum opened. Do other Scout museums not have fire suppression systems?

Thank you for your time.

Richard

See if you can contact Tipisa Lodge of Central Florida Council. They have a very nice Lodge museum at their camp. They may be able to give you some advise on how they did it. I know that one of the lodge leaders has several times spent time at our Section events tell others how they set it up and run their museum.

I have called Tipisa and left a message. Will check again tomorrow.

Checked with our council about a fire suppression system. The building was built in the in 1995 which was before there were city requirements. It is grandfathered in and does not need to have a suppression system. The museum was added to the existing building so the council again does not have to do anything.

The argument is that they have extinguishers throughout the building. Currently there are not any in the museum or in the back room. Looks like I will have to petition for some. I'll be lucky if I get one.

NONE of the facility has any sprinkler system. None. I can't believe that even in the mid-90's that this would not of been included.

So if the building has a fire there will be a lot more damage inflicted due to the council choosing not to spend the money for a fire suppression system.... It scares me of losing the museum items. If we had better cabinets for storage I would be a little more comfortable, but right now it's a big risk.

I guess we should:

Be Prepared

A few things.

1) Talk to other museums about idea for improvement. Yes you are competing for the same grant dollars, but everyoen is in it for the same purpose: to preserve our history and andeducate the public.

2) Are there other museums and/or historic sites within walking distance? I know that in Baton Rouge, LA the Capitol Trail has stops at various museums and historic sites. While there is a charge to get into the museums, it is usually discounted for those groups on the trail. Trust me I went into 3 of the museums on that trail.

3) Gift Shop is where themoeny is at! I worked at two museums/historic sites and the gift shop was where our income for projects and maitnence came from. And dealling with a WWII Fletcher Class Destroyer is HIGH MAINTENENCE, but worth every penny.

4) LAST but not LEAST establish a relationship with any local college with a history department, especially those with MA programs in Public History, Museum Studies, and Archives and Records Administration; as well as library Schools that have programs in Archives and Records Administration (Archives and Records Admin folks have two choices for advance degrees to get jobs: MA or MLS). The professors may be able to give you great advice, info on upcoming grants, and provide you with FREE volunteers in the form of grad students who need to do internships and projects for grades. Working on my MLS, I had to do a pacticum and an intership: so for one semester I was at one place, the next at another. But it wasn't uncommon for folks to spend and entire year doing both the practicum and the internship at the same place.

In reference to your concern over fire protection. Other than if you have a storage room piled with stuff or really large racks of flamable materials your fire load is relatively low. I am in the fire protection and safety field and I see this every day. Compare what you have in total fire load to an office with cubical walls and mountains of paper. (Please do not look at my desk. It looks messy but if clean I cannot find anything.) The concern with the museums is that we cannot replace these things. I think the best thing in the world is to put fire sprinklers in every building. Chief Brunacini in Phoenix, I believe, requires them everywhere, but with your current state I would say focus on safety. Checking wires and light fixtures. Make sure there are no extension cords run to cabinet lights. Did you know they are not designed for continuous use? Use low voltage lighting and keep combustibles away from heat sources including light bulbs. I know of a company that will lease a fire sprinkler system. But then you still have to pay the bill. Common sense and a person competent with an ABC fire extinguisher within reach is the first line of defense. Fire sprinklers are actually designed to protect the occupants not the stuff. Everything will get wet within 20 feet of the sprinkler that activates. Only where there is enough heat to activate the sprinklers will the heads fuse, and they wet the surrounding area to stop the fire. The high value museums and computer rooms have gone to eco-friendly gas systems. Read that as expensive. Good luck.

In reference to your concern over fire protection. Other than if you have a storage room piled with stuff or really large racks of flamable materials your fire load is relatively low. I am in the fire protection and safety field and I see this every day. Compare what you have in total fire load to an office with cubical walls and mountains of paper. (Please do not look at my desk. It looks messy but if clean I cannot find anything.) The concern with the museums is that we cannot replace these things. I think the best thing in the world is to put fire sprinklers in every building. Chief Brunacini in Phoenix, I believe, requires them everywhere, but with your current state I would say focus on safety. Checking wires and light fixtures. Make sure there are no extension cords run to cabinet lights. Did you know they are not designed for continuous use? Use low voltage lighting and keep combustibles away from heat sources including light bulbs. I know of a company that will lease a fire sprinkler system. But then you still have to pay the bill. Common sense and a person competent with an ABC fire extinguisher within reach is the first line of defense. Fire sprinklers are actually designed to protect the occupants not the stuff. Everything will get wet within 20 feet of the sprinkler that activates. Only where there is enough heat to activate the sprinklers will the heads fuse, and they wet the surrounding area to stop the fire. The high value museums and computer rooms have gone to eco-friendly gas systems. Read that as expensive. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

INteresting topic. When it comes to display cases you can try several different things. Do you have a lot of patches to display. maybe try using poster frames from wal-mart and back it with red felt like a patch blanket. not all that professional looking but it could serve the purpose.

With so many businesses going out of business maybe you could look into them donating their old glass display counters.

Maybe you may be able find someplace that may have one of the old map display cases. You know the one with the pull out flat racks. You may be able to use that for display also. Just some thoughts.

Thank you for all of the great suggestions and information. There has been a little bit of movement regarding the cabinets and fire extinguisher.

First, the fire marshal came into the scout office/museum a couple weeks ago and stated that the extinguisher that was across from the museum was fine. They were not going to require one in that area. Personally I don't like it. If the marshal is not going to make a requirement, then I will have a hard time selling to the council about getting a fire extinguisher in the museum.

I've done a lot of research and finally had it dawn on me last week that we could purchase ratchet locks for the our existing cabinets. It would at least secure what we have. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll break in and take it. But at least we'll have some form of security. Our council gets a discount at a local hardware store in town. That will help us out a lot and make the cost reasonable for the 17 + cabinets we have.

It's a first step. We don't have the funds to purchase new cabinets yet. So at least securing what we have is a good thing. I am working on a number of fund raisers that should help us out. Please I will be working on grants this year as well.

The suggestion of working with college students is a great idea and one that I will look into. We do have a couple museums here in town that are good resources.

So things are coming along. Thanks again for your input!

I like museums and history. We only fully appreciate where we are going by remembering where we've been.

Eagle92 has a lot of realy good ideas. Gift Shop? would that conflict with the Council Scout Shop? A local Council has a full service Scout Shop at each Scout camp, manned (personned?) by volunteers. A share of the income stays with the camp.

Is the building donated? Owned by whom? If it is Council owned ( as I read/assume) then you may be in a better place, but even so, make sure. Long term lease at a dollar a year? Make sure of your legal basis, as one owners charity might not be shared by the next. Make sure of who/what "owns" your collection. Council? Seperate non-profit? A person? On loan?

Spread your publicity wide. Newspaper articles. Web articles. Go to RoundTables in ALL the Districts you can. Offer to come and do a Show and Tell at CSDCs, Unit meetings, and other venues.

Get on your Council Tiger Cub Go and See list. What? Well, create one!

Don't forget a donation bucket out front.

Does your Council have a Scout store nearby? Ask to put a "Change Drop" bucket near the register for donations. They do mount up!

Eagle projects?

Sponsor Collecting MB classes. Model Making MB. Stamp Collecting. Coin Collectin MB. Any others as appropriate?

Do other presentations in conjunction with Council meetings, meet the big bucks that come in.

Develope that support committee.

And don't forget to smile and wave as you go by.

Lots of good ideas, except the service project one IF the museum is council owned. can't do an Eagle project for scouting. Now an OA Workday is a different story.

If you cannot have a museum shop b/c of the council shop, ask if they will sell merchandise on consignement.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

The Batchelder Family Scout Museum was a gift to the Mid-America Council. Anne Stuart Batchelder donated a large sum to the council so the museum could be built. The museum is an addition to the Durham Scout Center in Omaha, NE. Within the building is our Scout Shop. It currently is being remodeled and moved from a council owned to a National Scout Shop.

My understanding with the manager is that the museum will not be able to sell Museum fundraiser items in the shop unless National will be selling them. That is also a drawback for our shop. In the past they would order and sell different items (ie. Atlas, nature books etc.) They can only sell what National (Scoutstuff.org) sells.

So what we will need to do is possibly have our fundraisers run through our Scouter Services office. I'm hoping to use our council website, but that may not pan out. We'll see.

With our activity program (Scouts earning a neat museum patch after going through the museum and answer some questions) it was posted on the digital ribbon board outside the Durham Scout Center. The council's weekly e-mail blast has been advertising for a couple weeks. I have also contacted all District Executives, District Commissioners and District Committee members through e-mail. There was also an opportunity in January where I spoke to all of the council DE's at a leadership meeting regarding the museum. I have requested from all districts any camping or activity patches, programs etc for current activities. That will help us to better maintain the items that come out throughout the council. So I have been getting the exposure out there.

At the same time I have also been putting out ads on Craigs List in the Items Wanted section hoping to draw interest in donating needed items to the museum. There are many items that are out there that the museum doesn't have. So I'm trying to reach out with collectors, Craig's List, and purchasing (within reason) from Ebay.

One of the displays that I've put out in the museum shows the different Red & White Strips (full and community strips as well)and CSPs. We have an Omaha Red & Kahki, Covered Wagon RWS, Mid-America Council RWS, Prairie Gold RWS.

We do not have a Sergeant Floyd RWS which has been difficult. I have come across two, but do not have the funds ($700.00 +).

Southwest Iowa it appears did not have a RWS (unless it Council Executives did, but I've yet to see one). Instead they used community strips. At the same time they also did have a hat shaped patch that said Southwest Iowa Council. This patch was worn on the uniform pocket. I found an image, but have been unable to get one for the museum so far.

Here are the councils that have all been merged in Mid-America:

Omaha

First Class

Fort Dodge - later renamed Prairie Gold Area

Sergeant Floyd - merged into Prairie Gold Area

Prairie Gold Area

Mid-America

OA Lodges that are part of Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut:

Cha-Pa #97 merged into Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut 1964

Pohawk #445 merged into Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut 1964

Wahpeton #438 merged into Miniconjou 1973

War Eagle #474 merged into Miniconjou 1973

Miniconjou #438 merged into Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut 2000

Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut #97

I have been doing a lot of work on this front for OA first flaps of all the lodges that have now made up Kit-Ke-Hak-O-Kut. So far we have four first flaps. The two that we're missing is War Eagle (Ebay recently had it for $1,100.00) and Wahpeton (Ebay recently had it for 620.00).

One of the possible fundraisers as well as getting exposure is hosting a Trade-O-Ree. I've never been to one and don't really know how to put one on. But this could be a good thing. Our council I guess may have done one over twenty years ago. Collecting is not a real big deal here...yet. We have collectors, but the younger boys are not into that much.

I also have another possible fundraiser to help us. This will be presented at our next committee meeting which will be this coming Thursday (3/19). Once I know what the committee thinks, I'll let you know.

The suggestion is sponsoring merit badge clinics are great ideas. This is something that I do want to do. It will take a little bit of time to get that set up.

It's getting close to a year since I took this role as the chairman. I've enjoyed it and learned a lot. We've also made great strides. There is still a ton to do. Of course this is all volunteer. At the same time this is something that people need to be aware of. The more exposure about the museum, the more we'll get to do. That will include (going back to the original reason for this thread) getting improved and larger cabinets.

Enough of the book - I'm history!

Richard

Richard Clark

Chairman - Batchelder Family Scout Museum

Mid-America Council, B.S.A.

Omaha, NE

(402) 650-6720 (cell)

You' re off to a good start. One thing you can do is start cultivating donors. hard to do, but once you have names of a few collectors, you may be able to talk them in to leaving their patches to the museum in their wills. I'm planning on doing that for Southeast Louisiana Council and Chilantakoba Lodge as my sons will not grow up in that council or lodge. You may want to talk to a lawyer as I beleive donations may be tax deductable. Another incentive for donors.

Definately make sure all district and council activities "donate" a patch to the museum. Also get the lodge involved. My old lodge was in the process of creating a lodge museum, and my current lodge has 90+% of all thei patches in the OA reception center at camp.