Read any good books lately?

"Possibly we would have a better, certainly different group if some of the prominent people involved at the start who withdrew had stayed the course. We need to look back with respect, but also recognize the shortcomings and try to learn from their mistakes."

Your comments about all the various founders and other early figures are well taken. None were perfect. I think West did some important things for the BSA. He also did some detrimental things for the BSA. I think of the people you mention, I can only thing of GBB has not having any faults, per say.

As we get closer to the 100th Anniversary, I really hope that we see more and more bios (as well as reprints) of these founders and early pioneers of scouting, so that others can know and appreciate what they did.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"On the home front, we have the well known THREE SCOUTS IN AFRICA, ones to do with national park work, sea journeys, and the saga of 800 scouts who reenacted a trip from Wyoming to Oregon on the Oregon Trail back in the 30s."

I just got a copy from eBay. It lists several other similiar books, many I was not aware of. Paul Siple's are the only ones I already have, but they list a book by Siple titled "Why Twice" which I've never heard of. I wonder if that's the book on his second trip to Antarctica (titled "Scout to Explorer").

His 2nd book is interesting: "Exploring at Home", which tells of his natural history explorations with another former scout of a nearby wetland area. Certainly something that most scouts could do in their own area, vs having to travel hundreds of miles to someplace else.

"More recent books are also out there, such as the story of the Koshare group, or the history of the Hmong scouts."

Never heard of either of those! Title and sources? I've like to get them.

"Wonder how many scouters even have heard of some of these things. And wouldn't it be great if some of these true adventures could be made into a series for TV?"

I think few are aware of them. I've love to see some articles in Scouting magazine about them, and prehaps some inexpensive reprints as well.

Dave: Interesting, I don't remember reading that. In fact, I don't think I ever read the book. I'll have to dig one up.

One thing about Bill was, he would not necessarily said the same thing in a book interview for the BSA as he would have said by the fire over a glass of Scotch. :)

David;

I too find the quote you share from a Hillcourt interview to be interesting. I have just spent almost an hour reviewing the Peterson book, and cannot find the interview. Can you tell me where you read it please? I would like to get a copy for my historical collection. Thanks.

Titles I have in my collection; A Boy Scout with the Sea Devil, Scout Naturalists in the Rocky Mountains, A Boy Scout Round the World, Fliver to Cambodia, Boy Scouts and the Oregon Trail, My Hike, Three Scout Naturalists in the National Parks, Boy Scouts in the Grizzly Country, Two Green Bars (based on true events), Zuni Masks (story of Koshare Dancers), Antarctic Scout, 90 degrees South (Paul Siple), A Boy Scout with Byrd; Dark Sky, Dark Land (Hmong, Troop 100); and Be Prepared (based on a scoutmasters tenure in the 40's). There also are a number of miscellaneous local histories out there, and recently have been some newer publications by scouters that I have yet to get.

Here is the web site for the Koshare group; really inspiring. http://www.kosharehistory.org/

Sorry about being unclear gents,

I have Peterson's typed transcripts from a number of those interviews that he sent me some years ago when I was researching my book on Scouting's founding due out next year. That part of the interview did not make the book. There are gems of knowledge in those papers.

David C. Scott

In my copy of "Three Boy Scouts in Africa" is given a list other books, under the collective series of "Boys' Books By Boys":

David Binney Putnam

David goes Voyaging

David goes to Greenland

David goes to Baffin Island

Deric Nusbaum

Deric in Mesa Verde

Deric with the Indians

Robert Carver North

Bob North starts Exploring

Bob North by Canoe and Portage

Bob North with Dog Team and Indians

Bradford Washburn

Amoung the Alps with Bradford

Bradford on Mt. Washington

Bradford on Mount Fairweather

Halswy Oakley Fuller

Halsey in the West Indies

Robert Dick Douglas, Jr

David Martin Jr

Douglas L Oliver

Three Boy Scouts in Africa

Robert Dick Douglas, Jr

A Boy Scout in Grizzly Country

Fifteen Boy Scouts

The Scout Jamboree Book

Scout Jamboree 1933

Douglas L Oliver

A Boy Scout in the Grand Cavern

Clarke Crichton, Jr

Frozen-In

David Martin, Jr

A Boy Scout with the Sea Devil

Five Boy Scouts

Boy Scouts on the Oregon Trail

Paul Siple

A Boy Scout with Byrd

Exploring at Home

Why Twice (Note- never heard of this book. Is this really "Scout to Explorer"??)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished James E West and the History of the BSA. Just a few thoughts. Where would we be with the American Boy Scouts and the other bands still around?( Although this book gives me the idea as why the Girl Scouts are ticked at us.) Could have a different founding father done what West did?

Another couple of books to read are Peater Applebaums book Scouts Honor and Cohrens Be Prepared.

I just finished the James West biography. It's an excellent one, strong contents plus strong writing talent in that one. I've also just finished the book on the history of the Catholic Church, Triumph: a 2,000 year history of the Catholic Church, by Crocker; again, an excellent read, especially since it was very well=written: useful for all Christians.

You're welcome and since I had dug the book out of my shelf, I went ahead and re-read it. It's still a great and funny book. Scouting is a lot different today, but a lot is the same.