Old uniform question

As I mentioned in the uniforms forum, I picked up a shirt from about 1960 and have all the insignia I need to outfit it properly to reflect what my current uniform would have looked like at that time (with the exception of a khaki Webelos/Arrow of Light award knot). One question that comes to mind, though.

Looking at the shoulder, I'm noticing that there is no flag on it. I've seen a number of things in my old books over the years and recall seeing it placed where the jamboree patch would be on some cub uniforms from about that era, but I also know that the first sets of Webelos ribbons were designed to be at the top of the sleeve. Not so sure about leaders' uniforms, however. Does anyone happen to know (preferably from experience, but researched answers are fine) whether the flag was worn at all at that time?

Thanks for the help!

Kaji

Kaji,

If you take a look at my insignia posting under "Ancient Insignia Bonanza," you'll see every piece of insignia that could have been worn in 1960 by a Scouter. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the placement of the badges, but that hasn't changed much over time.

Sctldr is correct: no flags and no AOL knot at that time.

Kaji,

As scoutldr and Kahuna have said no AOL knot and flags were not worn in the 60's.

I did some checking in old Boy Scout Handbooks that I own. The earliest reference that I have to a flag being worn on a uniform is the inside back cover of the Boy Scout Handbook Seventh Edition Seventh Printing,January 1971. That template shows it in the current position on the right sleeve.

The next oldest Handbook I have is the one I used as a Scout which is Sixth Edition Sixth Printing,January 1964. Where there are no uniform flags.

• 1 month later...

Hi, fellow Scouts!

Sorry for being so late in getting to this...too much rain here in Northern California!

I was a Boy Scout from 1953 to 1956--at which point I became an Explorer--and I have to tell you that our uniforms were much less adorned than those of today. On the left sleeve we wore a city strip, a state strip and our unit's numbers; on our right sleeve we wore just our circular black and red patrol emblem--and up to 6 mbs on the long sleeve. On, under, or over our left pocket we wore service stars and attendance awards, our rank, and our AOL. Over our right pocket could wear a jambo patch, on flap we could wear an OA flap, on the pocket we could wear a "temporary" patch such as a camp patch, OA fellowship patch, etc, and, of course, we could wear an OA ribbon on the button. In 1960, the BSA issued a 50th Anniversary Acheivement patch: my buddies and I wore that below our right pocket, but I think it was officially supposed to go somewhere else. I just do not remember where. You could also wear an interpreter's strip that you earned.

I can only remember two knots--and you had to be eighteen to retire your rank patch and switch to a knot(s). They were Eagle and the Explorer Silver Award.

That was it: no epaulets, no American flags, no "Trained" strips and all the other badges that have spread out over our present day uniforms. It might be fun for you to find a 50's "Handbook for Boys" and have a look.

Wisumahi