Please help with a Quote...

A good place to start your search is...where did you get it from?

I have never heard that before. Even if Baden Powell said It I would have to disagree with it. Boys will become men as a matter of nature. What kind of men will be a matter of nurture, and that is where scouting plays a role.

One of the ScoutMasters in our Pack used the quote in a meeting months ago, and now -- due to an upheaval within the Pack Committee -- has challenged me to name the person he credited it to "just to see if I was paying attention."

He's only half-way kidding. I've been doing searches all week long and have come up empty.

I agree with both of you that this quote is not completely correct; however, if someone (other than this ScoutMaster) said it I'd love to know who. We have a meeting tonight!

Thanks again.

YIS,

Surfinwahine

Here's what he said:

Here's a quote or two for your collection:

"The purpose of Cub Scouts is to make Boy Scouts; The purpose of Boy Scouts is to make men."

"If you don't raise your hand , you cannot complain about the man who did."

Tell me who said these lines, and you win a scout bumper sticker!! (I added the words inside ) Hint: You've heard me make these quotes, let's see if you paid attention to who I credited with them.

He's only kidding about the bumper sticker.

YIS,

Surfinwahine

With respect, your quote is simply wrong and if I heard it at a public gathering, I would take objection to it.

It is not as poetic, but

The purpose of Cub Scouting is to build citizenship, character and fitness in boys age 6 through 10

The purpose of Boy Scouting is to build citizenship, character and fitness in boys 10 through 17

If a boy has a good experience in Cub Scouting but doesn't go on to Boy Scouting, that is not an incomplete experience. Cub Scouting is a stand alone program which does very good things for boys at the age level for which it is targeted. Please don't put Cub Scouting down. It is unfortunate that he will not have the additional benefits of Boy Scouting, but he has plenty of benefit.

How would your quoter respond to:

"The purpose of Cub Scouting is to build Boy Scouts.

The purpose of Boy Scouting is to build Venturers

The purpose of Venturing is to build young men and women?"