Scouting Hall of Fame

My Dad (1924 - 1992).

Lost his own father to a drunk driver when he(my Dad) was 18 and serving in Europe during WWII.

Then ... 9 kids - 5 sons (5 AOLs; then 2 Stars, 2 Lifes, and an Eagle; 5 OAs and a total of 7 Religious Awards) not to mention 3 seriously involved Girl Scouters and a 4H-er.

CubMaster, ScoutMaster, Commissioner, etc., etc. -- decades of service.

Took three busloads of boys and leaders on a 28 day trip across the country from Buffalo, NY to LA and back with stops for the Lake Michigan Ferry, Corn Palace, Mt. Rushmore, Knottsberry Farm, Grand Canyon, 1960 Golden Jubilee Jamboree, and obviously, much more.

WoodBadge trained.

Catholic Committee on Scouting, St. George Award.

Unretired as an ASM at 51 yrs old. to lead me and a crew at Philmont in '76.

Silver Beaver.

All with a High School Diploma, and a salary that never reached mine as a starting teacher in '82 ... with only 3 bedrooms ... and a wife who didn't drive (but was awarded a St. George of her own!) ... while operating a restaurant.

jd

(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

A little while back there were several threads about knots and beads. I am all for us recognizing people who step up to the plate and help deliver the program. Of course we never get the full story about the unsung heroes, the guy or girl that gives a lifetime of service,but stays away from the limelight.

The Den Leader, who is the single mom and is busy enough without the pressures of Scouting.

Just before the holiday our District lost a great guy. He had been the Cubmaster of a local pack for 30 years. He had severed on the District Committee. He had got involved when his son became a Webelos Scout and never left.

I really liked him, he would invite me to the pack B&G and then tease me when I arrived with Her That Must Be Obeyed, telling me that I was a real cheapskate only taking her because the dinner was free.

I have no idea how many little fellows passed through pack 183. I do know that here was a man who was as good as his word. I knew if he said that he was going to do something it would be done and done well. A few years back he missed a District meeting, the next day he phoned to apologize, here he was a man in his seventies looking after his mother a lady in her nineties suffering from Alzheimer's.

Our organization is filled with people who share common values,but there isn't a hall large enough on this planet that could accommodate the names of all those who deserve to be in a Hall of fame.

Eamonn.

I sat on our Silver Beaver Committee for a few years and I read the accomplishments of so many Scouters. A person being recognized by a committee lends itself to gauging a resume by comparison and in a competitive light. It appeared to me to be mechanical, judgmental and allowed for favoritism. The Committee is still worthwhile and valuable but it is my least favorite job.

I would like to hear from people that really knows the candidate and can speak for them. I want to interview their unit committee, their husband or wife, and their Scouts. Judgment needs to go beyond paper. Awards need to go beyond quotas and banquets. Awards need to reflect a person's heart and spirit. I agree with Eamonn because if it could be done, there would be another discussion about the number of knots Scouters wear.

FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

My first SM who did the job for over 25 years. He was the best SM I have ever known. He was both an expert trained leader, and a natural for the program. He worked on district and council programs, including serving as a WB coarse director.

My last SM as a youth, who is college teacher, and single father, and yet still found time for Scouting for a number of years.

Both recognized they could no longer honor obligations to family and Scouting, and so made the hard choice and chose the greater path of serving the needs of family. Both are still willing to help out as able, and either one could some day return to a more active role if other obligations permit.

I will always consider that first SM of mine to be The Scoutmaster.

There was also an SPL in the troop that I think of in a similar way.

• 2 weeks later...

My W2 leader. She has brought a good group of boys from Tiger to Crossover. That's not the tough part, well it is but not for her. She has early onset MS. She can't see to read, drive, or do any of that stuff. She is legally blind, deals with a plethora of medication on a regular basis. She has bouts where she can barely move or open her eyes with out hurting but she still does scouts. She camps with the boys, marches in parades, chairs the Blue & Gold, is there for everything I need to be done. Especially important is that she knows her boys and cares for each of them, even though one is her son, whom she would like to strangle occasionally. She is dedicated to getting these boys on the right path and will guide them through Scouts as far as they want to go. I would nominate her for her sheer determination to be there for the boys.

BTW she always builds a derby car and loves to race with the boys, and preferably beat them.

My hat still goes off for a CR named Dale M. Dale was one of the few chartered organization representatives I ever knew who owns a uniform.

Dale rode a motorcycle and was involved in a very bad accident. He lost both of his legs as a result. When he came out of his coma, one of the unit commissioners who served his units was at his bedside. He opened his eyes and said, "I'm sorry I missed the committee meeting."

The don't get more dedicated than that. Nor should they.

Hats off, Dale, wherever you are.

Unc.

Dancin' if you haven't met this dude, you really should.

UG