Camp Hazing the good kind

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humor is great, but not at the expense of another. I do love the stories of adults supplying a Skyhook (helium filled ballon)smoke bender (Battery powered fan in some duct) and on, the problem is, you cant guarantee such inventive minds will be on hand when the boy goes off.

Now, this past week end was our Districts Fall Camporee, and I have a standing challenge with the troop I serve that any Patrol that comes in first, second, or third in the scout skills competition can have its patrol leader throw a pie in my face at a scout meeting. I had to leave before the official results were in, but I beleive I have pie in my future. Which I beleive is an exmaple of good humor.

Talk about bad humor this weekend we where coming back from a Campout at the Land Between the Lakes and I had a terrible car wreck hit by a drunk. The only thing in my mind was thank god I did not have any kids with me. I worry so much about driving with the kids because no matter how you drive one drunk driver and it becomes bad. So im sore and moving slow and forgive me if it atakes a while to reply. I also am considering changing my name to Snaggletooth because I ate the steering wheel and boy it looks funny

Early teen hazing. Boy does that bring back memories? Well, actually not. If I could block out any part of my life or do it over again, it would be my junior high years. I have no fond memories I can recall from then. Before and after were great, but junior high just isn't worth remembering. Once I hit 5th grade, I became an overweight kid until my senior year when I lost 80 pounds. I remember being picked on and called names. I also remember joining in on some occasional hazing because I wanted to not be the butt of the joke once in a while. I was relieved to dodge the bullet for that hour and some other poor sap got it instead of me. Kids can be vicious at that age. I look back on my actions with shame now that I'm 47 and wish I could take back some of the things we did to kids. I wish I could change the things that happened to me. As a Scouter, I've made myself a promise that hazing will never take place on my watch and see a kid go thru the bad memories I have.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

No such beast as "good hazing". That being said, back in the good ol' days our SM patiently watched a few of the other guys in the troop prepare the "initiation concotion" for a new guy in the troop. Mustard, hot sauce, vinegar, you know the drill. After the bleach(!) was added, the SM asked those budding chemists who was going to test it for "potency", it needed to have the desired effect, you know. There being no volunteers, he took charge of the stuff, diluted it with a gallon of water, and poured it into the fire. At the campfire that night, the SM presented the new guy with the troop's neckerchief. That became the new-guy recognition. I'm willing to bet that froum members who were boy scouts have a boat-load of stories about the adults in their troops who handled problems and potential problems with such smoothness, grace and diplomacy that we carry them with us to this day. The Wisdom of the Scoutmaster. Title of a book?