CHIN-BE-GOTA revisited 20 years later

My name is Alan Larson. I was a member of Troop 81 in North Aurora from 1973 until 1980. i spent 8 wonderful years at Chin Be Gota. They were some of the best years of my life. I spent three summers on the staff. they wre the greatest. 1977 i was helping out the staff for two weeks, 1978 i was quartermaster and 1985 i was trading post manager/chaplain. I cant enough about the commarodores we had and the friends i made. i was sorry to see it sold in 1985. i wish i could get back that way some day, but i live in texas now. i too remember griz.. he was my first scoutmaster in troop 81. billy adams told me of his death in phone call imade to him in 1991. i also remeber jerry streit and john bland very well, especially john running camporees in devils cave district and especially running the campfires with his booming voice.. iknow they will be missed. my life is better for knowing them. the other person that made cbg fun and great was bill wiggins. how many of us remember him? he was the greatest influence on my scouting life. i would like to hear from some of the people who were a part of the staff in 1978.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd like to start by saying that I was a member of troop 45 from 1980 till 1987. I attended CBG from 1981 to 1983 and was a staff member for the summer in 1984. CBG opened in 1959 and closed after the

I am the daughter of Lloyd Nelson, Scout Leader from Aurora Il for over 50 years. I fondly remember going to Chin Begota family camp in the 60's. My oldest brother, also named Lloyd, was a counselor t

Cliff,   Do you know what years John attended during the 80's and what position or positions he filled? I some what remember his name but I can not put a face with it. I would like to see a web si

My name is Alan Larson. I was a member of Troop 81 in North Aurora from 1973 until 1980. i spent 8 wonderful years at Chin Be Gota. They were some of the best years of my life. I spent three summers on the staff. they wre the greatest. 1977 i was helping out the staff for two weeks, 1978 i was quartermaster and 1985 i was trading post manager/chaplain. I cant enough about the commarodores we had and the friends i made. i was sorry to see it sold in 1985. i wish i could get back that way some day, but i live in texas now. i too remember griz.. he was my first scoutmaster in troop 81. billy adams told me of his death in phone call imade to him in 1991. i also remeber jerry streit and john bland very well, especially john running camporees in devils cave district and especially running the campfires with his booming voice.. iknow they will be missed. my life is better for knowing them. the other person that made cbg fun and great was bill wiggins. how many of us remember him? he was the greatest influence on my scouting life. i would like to hear from some of the people who were a part of the staff in 1978.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading the revisit to Chin-Be-Gota. I have often wondered what the place looks like now.

I attended camp there in 66-68 and was on staff in 1969 with Big John and worked for Gerry in the commissary. I agree with the other memories of the camp. Looking back, it looks like how Norman Rockwell would paint a Boy Scout camp. I remember doing the mile swim between the swimming docks and the point beach. I was inducted into the OA there in 68 and then served on the OA induction staff in 69. Like others have said, I can't remember what I did Monday this week, but I can still see the old council ring as if I was there last night.

I've often thought about making a trip up there, but living in Texas now, there just are not many opportunities. I do visit the Aurora area occasionally, and made a point of treking through the former Camp Kedeka. I walked slowly along the new bike trail, trying to figure out where the cabins were and where Troop 400 always camped. Lots of memories from that camp as well.

I'm still in Scouting and am going through it all again as Den Leader and Committee Chair for my youngest son.

It's good to hear from all the old scouts, and to share the memories.

• 2 months later...

I came upon this website googling camp kedeka. Yes the one in sugar grove Illinois. I hear that camp closed some time ago also.

I'm a former member of troops 59 and 11 in aurora illinois, from 1969-1976? I was at Chin-Be-Gota twice and the wilderness camp once. I don't remember exactly what years but that's ok.

Rich I wanted to thank you for your detatiled re-visit to Chin-Be-Gota.

Wasn't there a big tall tree somewhere along eagle trail that had a eagles nest in it? Or perhaps that was at the wilderness camp?

I remember the rifle range well. It was my favorite. I also remember coming in 2nd place out of all the kids there with 2, 46 scores. I remember having one 46 score them the other kid shot a 47 and I was mad somewhat cause he bumped me from 1st place. I then when back to shoot again to beat him and shot another 46. Close but no cigar. I was very proud of my shooting scores and kept the targets for many years after. They're long gone now along with all but 1 or 2 of my patches. I still have my merit badges and my order of the arrow ummm sling? LOL Can't even remember what that's called anymore. Maybe I'll post a picture of them. This might not be the proper thread though.

Anyway I read this thread and thanks to all of you for some great memories!!!

I'll check back once in a while. Thanks again guys!!!

Taking this thread off track a little bit. But Camp Ke-De-Ka is still there. It is owned know by the Fraternal Order of Police.

Boy Scouts still camp there! It is in better shape know than when the BSA owned it. I hear that it cost next to nothing to camp there for a cub or scout troop. So if you are close you may want to check it out.

http://www.il-fop-14.org/index.html

I think the eagle's nest that you're thinking of was over at Chief Shabbona Wilderness Camp (Little Archie).

I know Troop 11 Aurora is still going strong. It is now in the Foxfire District. Here is their website:

http://troop11aurora-il.org/

I worked with John McKenzie from Troop 11 on Chin-Be-Gota staff at in 1976 and 1977. He was Asst Camp Director in 1976, and Camp Director in 1977. John continues to be active in Scouting currently serving as Advancement Chairman of the Foxfire District.

Cliff Golden

I think the eagle's nest that you're thinking of was over at Chief Shabbona Wilderness Camp (Little Archie).

I know Troop 11 Aurora is still going strong. It is now in the Foxfire District. Here is their website:

I worked with John McKenzie from Troop 11 on Chin-Be-Gota staff at in 1976 and 1977. He was Asst Camp Director in 1976, and Camp Director in 1977. John continues to be active in Scouting currently serving as Advancement Chairman of the Foxfire District.

Cliff Golden

Cliff Golden

Cliff I remember John well and his sons. I see troop 11 is still at the Wesley Methodist church. That's where I went, we met downstairs in the gym I believe.

I just saw John a month ago at Harners in N. Aurora for the first time in years. Didn't talk to him though.

Yes the eagles nest might have been at the wilderness camp. My father was leader of troop 59 for a while and our family knew the McKenzies well long ago. I remember John's troop 11 was at chin-be-gota the week before us(troop 59)one year and we just happened to have the same camp site as troop 11 the following week. Troop 11 was kind enough to leave us about a cord of chopped wood stacked neatly between 2 trees. The we(troop 59)didn't use it and left it for the next troop the following week. We didn't know who it was but that wasn't the point.

Ahhhhh the good old days!!

Jim Humbert

• 1 month later...

i remember chin be gota fondly as i went ther from 1976 through 1386 and served on thestaff there in 1383 with john bland he was the staff cook that year along with being the lodge advisor for oa. i remember john as being fair with everybody on staff. i was the archery instructor in that year so i rember the field sports area rather well. i'm sorry to hear that is over grown now and falling down. i remember getting my swimming merit badge at the beach and partcipating in the order of the arrow ceremony. it was some of the best summers that i had as a boy and as an adult leader with troop 71 out of plano il

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone have just moved back to Aurora, after an eventful 16 years in Atlanta. My first year at Chin-Be-Gota was in 1969 and are troop spent 2 weeks there. Week 1 in site 2, and week 2 in site 1. I was a member of Troop 55 from Devil's Cave district. I attended camp every year until the end; as a scout, leader, staffer, or Hammer & Saw, etc. Missed 1975 because I was in Scandanavia, for Nordjamb75. I was on staff in 1974, 1977, 1982 & 1983; all food&beverage. Also remember the staff new years eve parties we put on. Spent alot of time at the former camp after mike colwell bought his 80 acres he had all the buildings. Spent alot time off from pizza hut, helping to remodel the buildings for habitation; lots of fun. have pics and a video i took of the property while we remodeled it. Talk with chuck cregier on a regular basis, and mike c.. Miss john Bland and all those other friends that have passed on. Would be great to restablish contact with all my old friends, hit me back

m bates

• 4 weeks later...

I was on staff as well at CBG around 1982-1984(have to look at my uniform to be sure). A real shock to hear John Bland died, but I remember him not being in the best health even back then. Some of my fondest memories are of CBG as a camper and staffer. I remember Griz as Camp Director and my summer on maintenance with Marty Hauge as my best times at camp (Go Garbage!). I spent a couple days with my oldest son at his summer camp this year and after 24 years the idea of getting back into scouting doesn't seem so strange as it once was. I remember Rich (Grumpy) and Bales along with the rest of our cast of characters even if I can't put names to faces after so long. Not to end on a bad note, but when the council sold CBG it was a real kick in the teeth for those of us who had been active, especially in the O.A.

• 1 year later...

Hi rich, Thanks for the great story. As said many times, what great memories come back to me as I read this. I attended CBG from 1973 to 1984. I never went as staff but always went as a scout and then as an adult leader with Troop 27, OLGC in Aurora. All the things you mention, from the eagle trail to the showers to the little white shack on the beach and the OA ceremonies make me wish I could go back. Some of my best memories....waiting in line at check in time to see the camp doctor or nurse, telling the newest scouts attending for the first time, to roll up their sleeves to get their camp shot. Spending late nights in the glen at the top of the hill behind sites 1 & 2 watching the shooting stars and the orbiting satelites. Hours at the rifle range, yeah Cliff I remember you. I shot my first rifle, bow and arrow, it was great. The skunk in my tent in site 13. The mile swim, sailing, rowing, tagging in and out. The great skits at the fire bowl, being tapped out and spending the night under the stars along eagle trail near the chapel. Running to the trading post daily to get a suicide...a cup of all the flavors of soda mixed together. Earning my merit badges. Conservation projects. Running through staff camp!!!

These were some great years, it is a shame the camp had to be sold. My son is now a weblo and it would have been the best if I could have taken him to CBG.

I am glad I found this site and I will visit it often.

Till next time stay safe

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Today is Aug. 1st. 2009

Hello all scouts.

I was at CBG during the summer of 1962 as the scoutmaster of troop 45 from Sandwich Ill, along with 26 scouts.

I was in scouting for over 50 years, cubs, scouts, senior scout, scoutmaster, asst. scoutmaster, neighbor comm., institution rep., and finally as Dist. chairman out of Pontiac for the Corn Belt council.

When I started as a scoutmaster to troop 45 in Sandwich Ill. they were sponsored by the Methodist Church and I was the 'Charter Member Scoutmaster', 50 years have gone by, and I was invited to their 25th year get together of the signing of the Charter. Any one around from troop 45, as I'm sure there should be 3rd. generation scouts there. If there would be a 50 year get together, contact me at wrong_no@hotmail.com , and I would surely attend.

Another note from reading the threads is, I was in scouting with John McKenzie, and we are having our 55th. high school class reunion in Mendota on the 8th of Aug. 1009.

Saw this in the paper.

"The Mendota Township High School Class of 1954 is having a reunion on Saturday, Aug. 8 at the Mendota Civic Center. Friends are welcomed to join the classmates for a social time scheduled to begin at 8 p.m."

Chuck Howarth