Hello,

I have been thinking of this for some time, and the recent thread on gifts for SM's finally prompted me to start my first thread.

I was pinned so long ago that I can't remember giving my SM anything, (I hope I did). I do remember giving my father an eagle tie clasp and he always wore it! It hurts me that we couldn't find it after he died. I also gave my mother some kind of pin.

When I got back into scouting as an adult, I was suprised at the gifts bestowed upon the eagle! I have attended few Eagle COH's. and I was wondering if this is common. I can understand a gift from somebody who was particulary close, but I got the feeling that I had been invited to a birthday party. Gift giving when invited to a party rubs me the wrong way. The only such party I gave for my son, he gave gifts to the guests instead, and when we had one this year for my (six yrs.) daughter, we went to great pains not to tell people it was her birthday.

So my obvious question, who gives gifts to the Eagle recipient, and would it be proper to tell people not to bring gifts. If I am ever fortunate to see my son pinned, I would want him to invite a lot of people to share the moment, but I would hessitate if gifts were expected.

Thanks in advance for your responses. YIS, paul e. conley

In my experience, the only giving of gifts to the new Eagle, if and when it has occurred, was from parent to son. And that happened infrequently. The Mrs. and I did not give gifts to our own when they earned their Eagles. Nor did we expect anyone else to do so, and if asked we told folks that.

I think that to an Eagle Scout, the honor of your presence should be enough.

I thought it was cool that my folks gave me a nice Eagle plaque (not lost somewhere in the Steele archives) and my grandparents did something for me (also lost in the archives.)

I did keep the cool paperweight the council gave me at it's Eagle recognition event, but that's probably because I didn't lose it somewhere more than because of any sentiment.

I, like Paul, remember pinning the Eagle Mother's pin on Mom and the tie tack on Dad. That meant more to me than anything and it touches me even now -- 24 years later.

The tie tack and mother's pin, btw are still available and come in the standard Eagle Kit. You can probably order them separately if you can't find your father's, Paul.

DS

I had been to two, maybe three, Eagle COHs before my son's COH. It wasn't until HIS that I found out the cards people were giving the new Eagle had money in them! I had always thought a congratulations/wtg/good job/well done card was appropriate. My son got nearly $400 at his COH. I was... well... speechless. At the next COH I attended I put $15 in the card.

MS

I usually give the new Eagle a framed copy of the Eagle Scout Promise, that I run off my computer onto parchment paper I get at my local office supply store. If the Eagle hasn't got his membership in NESA, I will usually pay for that, since someone did this for me when I got my Eagle in 1980.

Scott

Hi,

I think that I've noted before that I like to give a small cash gift & one of the Eagle mugs. All of my scouts know that mugs are my preferred collectible (along w/ neckerchiefs) so they acccept that particular gift graciously. Perhaps I'll have to design my own Neckerchief....

Maybe Knot!

Bob

Gifts have not been common in our Eagle ceremonies but as a leader, I always try to give each new Eagle something for him to remember me by. I try to make it something unique to him and, if possible, something that reflects his scouting experience. Not expensive, just sentimental. The parents sometimes use the occasion to give their son a gift as well (usually Eagle memorabilia). I would never consider giving money and I would not support such by others in the troop.

There is, however, a tradition of writing for certificates of recognition from a large number of sources (mostly associated with, but not exclusive to, government). The family sets up a display that shows the scout's progress, photo albums, cub scout stuff, projects and finally the Eagle project materials and certificates. These displays are useful in providing incentive for the younger boys ("I'm going to do this someday.")