old equipment in general. the good and bad

I've asked a lot of questions about older equipment in the past. I am sort of a user/collector. Someting fascinates me about using older methods and techniques. I know there are many things from scouting's past that should still be available today. There are some things that are far better than what is used today. I'm also sure there must be some terrible ideas that flopped too. So, your comments? Can you remember something you whshed they still made, how about something that wasn't so good?

Wished they still made:

-Overseas hat, stylish, not practicle though

-Softer Campaign hats from the good old days. much more comfortable than todays. They should make them mandatory and mass produce them to make them cheaper..im dreaming though.

-The old Uniforms, like we have heard and discussed in other threads, they were more durable, comfortable, and practicle.

-Canvas Yucca Backbacks, for lightweight campers a great pack. When your pack is not a huge frame pack you tend to bring just the basics with you.

-not officialy scout tents, but those old 4 wall canvas tents. The big heavy ones with the aluminum poles. Its a great tent for winter camping. Heres a link to what im talking about i forget the name of this tent. Morssan tents i think...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2794885893&category=36119

-old methods of cooking. Back when scouts did not have stoves and propane.

Thats about all for now off the top of my head. I'm interested to see what kind of responses come out of this thread,good topic!

:) Grinning ear to ear :)

VentureScoutNY,

How can you long for "good old days" that you were not even alive for?

No one who had one would rationaly consider a heavy mildewy canvas bag as benefit to lightweight camping when compared to todays products.

A lot of the people who talk about the values of the OLD uniform never had to actually wear it. I still have a couple in my closet from when I was a scout and from ten years later when I was a new leader. Neither are any better or any worse than todays uniform. I have worn every uniform version since 1967 and the biggest change is the look.

A 4 wall tent? how does one get in and out?

"old methods of cooking. Back when scouts did not have stoves and propane"

The methods of cooking haven't changed a bit. Only the fuel used to create the heat has changed.

When it comes to camping equipment I cannot think of a single item that has not been greatly improved by current technology. Products are lighter, healthier, better performing, easier to maintain, and for the most part cheaper than the "good old days".

The only time travel the human race is capable of is into the future, at a rate of one-minute every 60-seconds.

Well Bob, I am a Collector. I have used the Yucca pack on many campouts. I wouldn't say they are a bad pack. If they get soaking wet, yea than your cheerfullness might be hard to keep up. But when it rained i had a trusty garbage bag I through over it and problem solved. But true, compared to many of todays products it's not a full proof pack.. But we are talking about scouting stuff and I was not comparing it to todays items-"I know there are many things from scouting's past that should still be available today." thread creator. SO thats why I said the packs.

Since I also collect Uniforms from the past I have worn a few on certain Occasion, and the material and fit are different from todays uniform in my opinion. To me, it seems like the shirts had a little more room to move in than todays. Maybe I'm worng who knows, again this was just my observation.

"old methods of cooking. Back when scouts did not have stoves and propane" The fuel is correct, thats what I meant when I said propane. New methods today include cooking on propane stoves. Not for everyone but I have seen it done.

Sorry, didn't make the 4 wall tent clear! 3 wall tent one doorway in front :)

I do agree Bob, that many items today are better. Especially all of those new fibers and fabrics available for gear.

But were the items really cheaper than today? I would say they were as relative as todays prices are to equipment. In scoutings history hats could be bought for less than $2. That's cheaper than today, but on the other hand the current prices of todays equipment are relative to todays incomes etc...Inflation..gotta love it!

Actually if you compare todays wages to yesteryear's you will discover most things including scout uniforms have dropped in price.

Keep in maind that more people camp today than in "the good old days" there is only a certain amount of fallen limbs to go araound and mother earth and her inhabitants need them more than your fire lay.

Other than that the cooking is the same, My fried eggs taste just as good no matter what heat resource I use, and I cook them just the way I did as a scout back in the "good old days"

Wearing a uniform as a couple of times, and wearing it a couple times a week for a few years, is a big difference.

The uniform changes a little ecery few years, be patient and they will change again. No matter what they do to it a few hundred thousand people will like it and few hundred thousand people will not.

I agree there is some neat old stuff that would be fun to have in a personal museum, but as far as being better suited than today's materials for use in the field? Not a chance.

As far as terrible ideas..few were scoutings design. They were common accepted practices used by scouting as well as everyone else

Butter on burns

Artificial Respiration

Torniquets

Slicing snake bites and sucking venom by mouth

Trenching tents

Bon-fires

Not so good:

- The Baker Tent; nostalgia value only, although it is considerable. Heavy, too many poles of various lengths, too many guy ropes, rear of tent at 15" height virtually useless. Highly prized by Civil War re-enactors. We had one in my last Troop, and took it on every car camp we did, nonetheless -- lots of character.

- The official canteen; a technology long overshadowed by bladder-style hydration systems. Although, little KS has an official canteen, and uses it often, including on his grass cutting jobs...perhaps I withdraw this nomination.

Good:

- The older handbooks, and I guess I'll include the tenth edition here, although the ninth is a far cry better. In a side-by-side comparison, boys like the older books better. Fortunately, the new Fieldbook is much more reminiscent of the old Handbooks in layout, number and quality of illustrations and photos, and readability.

- Cast iron cookware, especially dutch ovens. Enough said.

KS

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this one actually caused me to drag out my old baker tent and set it up again. I even found the wooden poles. Then I carefully folded it and put it away, perhaps forever. Then I took wistful glances at such things as my old handmade pack frame made from steel conduit, a box full of assorted old backpack stoves, and a really heavy sleeping bag full of kapok. I'm with Bob White on this topic. The new stuff is almost always an improvement, probably cheaper too. Wait, no - I still like my wood and canvas canoes...trying to think of others...my Kabar knife?

Now...I'm really going to have to clean out that store room.

Sorry CW I meant Artificial Resuscitation, where you pushed on the victims back and pulled up on their elbows.

Bonfires are a safety hazard, they waste resources, they are inefficient.

Both are like a train wrecks, fun to watch but they don't do any good.