Signaling in Scouting

I grew up in the 60s and was an active part of the outdoor program in Scouting. We built 20-30 foot signal towers on several occasions. We never sent messages over long distances like we had imagined but we had great times climbing on them. We had to learn Morse Code to obtain First Class and that is the reason most didnt make it any further than Second Class. In the old Field Book, there was an easy way to learn Morse Code. It was broken down into simple words using the easiest letters of the Code first. So, I learned the Code well enough to squeak by and then promptly forgot it. We used it during several wig-wag competitions but we never did very well. They gave us messages that had the more difficult letters of the alphabet.

We set up several trails using trail signs and had competitions. We played stalking games which are allot of fun and still should be played. There are also activities and games using hand signals that still fit in quite nicely on campouts.

Our Troop spent about an equal amount of time hiking and car camping. We were always hiking to this one camp that was five miles out. So, we had plenty of opportunity to pass the hiking requirements. We never got dog bit or snake bit but we were ready to get bit and to take effective First Aid care of any wound. We mostly tried to fix blisters without much luck.

Sheath knives, hand axes, and camp axes were used and the skills taught carefully. One Scout got mad at me once and almost buried the hatchet in the back of my skull. I saw him abusing his hand ax and marched over and tore up his Totin Chip. An alert leader headed him off at the pass while I walked serenely away thinking I had put a stop to it. I guess a person doesnt always need a Totin Chip to make amends.

It takes time and effort to keep a good edge on any cutting tool and you have to be skilled to use them. Im personally happy to have or use them only in selected activities. The danger is not worth the effort and a good pair of work gloves can achieve equal results for building small fires when allowed.

In the early seventies, a group of enlightened Scouters and Professionals decided to fix the Scouting program in the United States. They believed so much in their dream that if people didnt agree with their new and improved program, they were told to go or be released and so they did. The numbers spiraled downwards until the National office decided that the program had been fixed enough. Bill Hillcourt was brought back to return Scouting to the basics of the outdoor program and the numbers began to improve again.

I cant tell you that times were better back then but I can testify that I enjoyed it. I learned the ideals of Scouting and they are actively being used in my life. The methods of Scouting are the same. The differences are in how the methods are applied. If you want to use Morse Code and you can get agreement and a fun activity planned, then it is still there. Just because the requirements are different doesnt mean that the Scouts cant plan a safe and enjoyable program.

Romance is for thinking about but the fun is in the doing.

FB

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic