OLD(?) SCOUT CAMPS

• 3 weeks later...

I know that this does not fit the question at hand but then we are talking and this may be a related subject, so. I was driving down an old country road a few years ago in North Central Texas. I noticed a few old buildings off the road. I drove back around to look a them again. It had the look of an old Scout camp or a deserted Army camp. I tried to see if there were any people near but I couldn't find anyone. I then made a decision to take a closer look. I parked off the road and walked back with my camera. I spent about an hour taking pictures. I took outside, inside and inside to outside pictures. It was a sunny day and I wanted to document as much as I could to find out more. I found myself transported back in time with each building and area. I could almost see the activities. I never found out what the camp was but I knew that people had left an indelible mark on the land and it wasn't simply abandoned run down buildings. To this day, that camp returns to me occasionally in my thoughts. I am no longer searching for an answer about the camp but somehow it affected me.

A Council Executive once told me that a camp is a mud hole with a constant supply of money running into it. I suppose from a business perspective that description may fit. To the people that it affects, the mud hole is more of a lake, a camp, and a view and the flow of money is a great program that lasts a lifetime.

FB

Flyme911,

I attended a major roadtrip (district sponsored) to "Lake of Isles" in Conn in the early 70's -- I sometimes wonder what they named the housing development that stands over that lovely lake. (just kidding)

Bob

TwoCub, as it happens, tomorrow I am going on a camping trip with the troop to a camp that almost shared a similar fate. Until about two years ago, it was a council camp. Four councils (not including mine) had merged and ended up with something like 11 camps (some being a "second camp" in upstate New York, used as high adventure bases, and some having been inherited from still earlier merged councils; from my knowledge of the area, I suspect that the territory of this one council could have at time contained 9, 10 or even more councils.) They decided to sell off one in particular, and there was a big brouhaha over it. I think the original plan was to sell it for development. Both the local neighbors and a group of leaders and other adults who had camped there as boys protested the plan. So the council ended up selling it to the county park commission, which now runs it... as a camp. So troops can still use it, you're just sending your reservation form and check to a different place, I suspect the check is for more money, the council probably got less $ than it would have from a developer, and probably the signage is different. None of which will affect our boys this weekend.

• 10 months later...

Here is some info on one of the oldest Boy Scout camps that is still barely hanging on -

Owasippe - Chicago Area Council - 94th year -

---

THE SCARLET SASSAFRAS...Fall Colors Blast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 7, 2004

"Owasippe's Unwebsite & E-zine", http://scarlet_sassafras.tripod.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S-A-V-E O-W-A-S-I-P-P-E I-N-T-A-C-T F-O-R A-L-L

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opening Quote: "We learned to be patient observers like the owl. We learned cleverness from the crow, and courage from the jay, who will attack an owl ten times its size to drive it off its territory. But above all of them ranked the chickadee because of its indomitable spirit." Tom Brown, Jr., The Tracker

==================================================================

Summer Camp To Run At Owasippe In 2005, It's 94th Anniversary Year

==================================================================

As in 2004, Owasippe will operate section camps at Blackhawk and Wolverine, its Crown High Adventure Base, the Reneker Scouter Family Resort, and other outpost programs. Fees are to be set by October 15th. Campsite and Reneker cabin reservations are now being accepted at the CAC Camping Service department. For reservation forms and program specifics, go to the Chicago Area Council website section on camping... http://www.chicagobsa.org/Owasippe.htm

Last summer saw a marked increase in attendance over 2003 and reservations for summer camp are ahead of schedule. Estimates have put this summer's attendance in excess of 3,800 youth and adults which is roughly 200 more than in 2003. Out-of-council usage and demand appears to be escalating and reportedly is outpacing that of CAC's.

A Venture Crew summer program at Owasippe has also been submitted for consideration to the council and it is currently under review. More detailed program info will come as it is finalized and available. Scout and Webelos program options are also under scrutiny.

Summer camp staff applications are now being accepted and those forms are available via The Scarlet Sassafras "Campstaff and More" or directly from CAC's website at http://www.chicagobsa.org/Owasippe.htm.

Click onto the below site links for more useful information on Owasippe 2004/2005...

"Owasippe Overview"... http://scarlet_sassafras.tripod.com/id2.html

Sad to say the camp in the council where I was a DE was sold to pay off a massive council debt. That camp was in the council since 1928, and many generations of scouts and scouters had put their blood, sweat and tears into making it a beautiful camp, including myself. It was up in the mountains with a nice lake, you would fall asleep to the sounds of the bullfrogs singing their mating songs. The camp was full every summer and used the rest of the year for all kind of activities. A while back I went to see what had happened, the buyer had bulldozed the beautiful lodge and all the other buildings to the ground, the lake was still there and I could hear the bullfrogs croaking, it brought a tear to my eye. The land was never developed and the site lies unused like a ghost town, the council is gone as well. The next day I was in a local scout shop and they were selling a puzzle, Camp Eagles Nest,it reminded me of my camp years before. So I bought the puzzle, assembled, and framed it as a constant memory to those happy times.

I brought our troop to Owasippe back in about 1979 as an ASM. Great camp.

I worked at a camp that is no longer around. Kishwaukee Scout Reservation was located just north of Dekalb, IL. It was the summer camp for Calumet Council, located just south of Chicago. It wasn't the best camp, but it was ours. The council sold it off, and today they have no council camp to go to. I think it's a shame for a council to have no summer camp to offer the boys.

I am now in Arizona, where there are 4 camps, 3 of which are used for summer camps (I believe).

As a youth, Greater New York Councils ran Spruce Pond Scout Camp in Tuxedo, NY. Since it was upstate, it was almost like an outpost camp (remember, we were all New york City kids and anything north of the the city was an outpost). Camp was situated on top of a huge hill with a pond in the middle of it-always reminded me of a volcano with a lake in the cone. There was a water pump and a troop size lean-to with an army surplus Ben Franklin stove inside. We would buy a bag of coal from the campmaster to burn in the winter. The camp was always a highlight of our year since we always camped there in December so we can test out our cold weather skills. Of course, there were train tracks near by and the "ghost train" would roll by at night.

Similar stories, camp was sold in the 1980's to bail out the council. At least it is part of the NY state park system and is preserved.

This has been a nice thread of old camp memories mixed with the harsh economic conditions of scouting today. It is my hope we do not go down the same slippery slope as Scouts Canada is today. I have to wonder if any council really has the best interests of the scouts in mind anymore? Councils are being absorbed into mega councils and volunteers are mostly being ignored by Scout Execs. The problem seems to have gotten even worse since I served as a DE in a council that has gone under. I welcome your ideas about your council and its camp committment.