• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Dictionary of American Regional English: packsaddle worm - A saddleback caterpillar (one with stinging hairs). (Esp southern Appalachians). For a photo of this see:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/dept/entplp/bulletins/caterpillar/photo1.htm

I lived for years in a very old southern mill village. One of my neighbors was a very kind old man who had come down from the hills to escape poverty by enslaving himself to the mill (his words, not mine). One day we were talking in the yard and we spotted one of these on a tree. I had always heard of them as saddlebacks but he called it a 'packsaddle' and I liked the term immediately. I like to think it fits me but, alas, I'm not pretty enough.

Having no creative bone in my body, I looked away from my computer and on my desk was a stapler with:

ACCO

on the front. Thus, acco40. Now I find out that ACCO is a registered trademark. My wish is for an endorsement check, not a copyright infringement lawsuit!

Acco40,

Good thing you weren't in the men's room when you were thinking up a handle - You could be Flushmaster6000, Urinal1, Commode2, or something worse!

Rooster is the English translation for my last name. "7" is the day of the month I was born.

Whats the sense of being a self proclaimed know it all if you cant flaunt it,

Arrgh Arrgh, Classic Star Trek reference to Harry Mudd, also seen in the Trouble with Tribbles episode. One of my all time favorite actors was in that show, Patty Duke's father, well not really her father, the actor who played the part in her show, Oh how I had a crush on her.. and Deborah Walley, and Donna Douglas, and Melody Patterson, and Tina Louise and Dawn Wells, and Julie Newmar and Barbara Feldon, and Diana Rigg...

BTW My name?

Well I am an Eagle Scout (Have the card with Richard Nixon's name on it even) and the parenthetical statement explains the other two part

"Arrgh Arrgh, Classic Star Trek reference to Harry Mudd, also seen in the Trouble with Tribbles episode"

Sorry OGE, Harcourt Fenton Mudd aka Harry Mudd was only in two episodes, "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd." The shady trader in "The Trouble With Tribbles" was Cyrano Jones.

Now, if I could just put that mental activity used to store and retrieve arcane but useless information to good use, I could win a Nobel Prize.

The trouble with being a self proclaimed know it all, is that you cant know it all and it eventually catches up with you. I knew I should have looked it up, but no, I Knew I knew the answer. Well, like my old biology teacher used to say, its not what you dont know, its what you think you know that just aint so

Jokes on me, Non-Alchoholic drinks all around

Rooster,

Man, when I think about it that sounds a whole lot like a few things my wife says about me...you know, the 'slug caterpillar' thing. And FYI, her name ain't Stella.:)

don't you just love these smiley face things?

Fat Old Guy, OGE, I used to use Cyrano Jones as a prop when teaching population growth models. I'd tell them to gather all the evidence they could from the episode and back-calculate the growth rate and theoretical starting population size. It's ok to torment students, isn't it?