Who's got these Boy Scout Movies?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Russell is such a tragically sweet scout. He earns every single merit badge because he hopes that THIS time his father will show up to pin it on his sash. Brings a tear to my eye.

Just added a copy of "Mr. Scoutmaster" staring Clifton Webb to my collection along side "Follow Me Boys"... Next addition will be "Moonlight Kingdom" Not boy scouts, but a good movie that we showed du

Posted Images

It (1990}

The 1986 Stephen King horror novel was filmed as a miniseries in 1990.  I've never read the book, and I didn't see the original miniseries, but the DVD (and I assume both the book and original miniseries) has a character named Richie Tozier, identified by Wikipedia as a "Jewish Boy Scout".

I noticed the uniform Richie wears in his first few scenes appears to be a very faithful version of the Boy Scout uniform, which got me to wondering if it was in fact, an authentic BSA (albeit 1960 vintage) uniform.  Did BSA cooperate in the production of this film? I didn't notice a mention of BSA in the closing credits but I may have missed it.

• 1 month later...

Just added a copy of "Mr. Scoutmaster" staring Clifton Webb to my collection along side "Follow Me Boys"... Next addition will be "Moonlight Kingdom" Not boy scouts, but a good movie that we showed during a staff workup weekend for a Wood Badge course I staffed.

Edited by cchoat
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

If I'm remembering Jaws correctly, there's a brief mention/scene of Scouts doing their Mile Swim.

At the end of Dolphin Tale, there are Scouts in uniform acting as crowd control during the dolphin race/fund raiser.

I saw an episode of "NCIS" in which McGee is a scout leader bringing his patrol to see the crime lab. Abby shows one of the scouts how to take fingerprints and enter them in the system for a background check when OOOPS!  the system gets a hit on the scout as an abducted child.

What hit me most about the episode is how it would absolutely drive the uniform nazis bonkers because the kids had "merit badges" sewn all over the place....on pockets, above pockets, on the sleeves, etc.

image.png.a7f1c7075d74fd526aadc58f3f0a5f46.png

6 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I saw an episode of "NCIS" in which McGee is a scout leader bringing his patrol to see the crime lab. Abby shows one of the scouts how to take fingerprints and enter them in the system for a background check when OOOPS!  the system gets a hit on the scout as an abducted child.

What hit me most about the episode is how it would absolutely drive the uniform nazis bonkers because the kids had "merit badges" sewn all over the place....on pockets, above pockets, on the sleeves, etc.

image.png.a7f1c7075d74fd526aadc58f3f0a5f46.png

One could argue that if the producers followed BSA uniform requirements exactly then BSA would sue them for infringement (else work out a licensing deal which the producers might find too expensive for a single episode).

I wish BSA would work more cooperatively with Hollywood so the public could see Scouting in a wider and more positive light. As it is, typical Hollywood portrayals of Scouting involves either pedophiles or nerds.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, fgoodwin said:

I wish BSA would work more cooperatively with Hollywood so the public could see Scouting in a wider and more positive light. As it is, typical Hollywood portrayals of Scouting involves either pedophiles or nerds.

After 5 pages of discussing movies that mention or portray Boy Scouts, we really shouldn't complain about being characterized as nerds.

22 hours ago, David CO said:

After 5 pages of discussing movies that mention or portray Boy Scouts, we really shouldn't complain about being characterized as nerds.

Maybe. But many of the movies mentioned in this thread were produced before tody's Scouts were even born. The current movies (e.g., A Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse) do indeed rely on the tired trope of a nerd Scout. Can you name a recent movie that shows Scouting in a positive light and doesn't make use of the pedophile or nerd tropes?

Howzabout this:   ""Young Eagles (1934)""

***  When their around-the-world plane trip is halted by a crash in the Ecuadorian jungle, plucky Eagle Scouts Bobby (Bobby Cox) and Jim (Jim Vance) will need all their survival skills as they battle wild animals, hostile natives, and ruthless, treasure-seeking bandits to reach safety in this thrill-packed serial. Carter Dixon co-stars. 12 episodes; 3 3/4 hrs. on two discs. Standard; Soundtrack: English.  ((TCM Store catalog)) 

11 hours ago, fgoodwin said:

Maybe. But many of the movies mentioned in this thread were produced before tody's Scouts were even born. The current movies (e.g., A Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse) do indeed rely on the tired trope of a nerd Scout. Can you name a recent movie that shows Scouting in a positive light and doesn't make use of the pedophile or nerd tropes?

No, I can't.