National Boy Scout Statue

My son recently visited Washington DC and had his picture made beside a statue entitled something like "The National Boy Scout Statue".

I'm told that the man (or scout) leading or assisting a young woman in the statue has no pants on. His photo was from far away, so I could not tell for sure.

Anyone have any additional info on this scouting oddity?

• 1 month later...

I can add some information. I visited Washington, D.C. a few weeks ago and made a point of finding the statute.

It sits in a very impressive location; on the National Mall south of the White House, between the south lawn and the Washington Monument.

It was erected in commemeration of Scouting's anniversary. There is a boy in full uniform (50's era) if front of a man and woman. The man and woman have sort of a mythical look and while covered, are not fully clothed.

A fountain/pool sits in front of it with an inscription circumscribing the water.

It is very well done and quite impressive.

Sctmom, that picture does seem to be of what YakHerder is describing. I've never seen that statue. It is rather odd, isn't it? I don't see that the man is necessarily wearing any clothes at all, though it is difficult to tell what is going on with his, er, private area. There's almost like a G-string thing across his hip. And what's with the man's right arm? It is at a strange angle and looks almost like it's melting or something. And what's he holding in his other arm? A torch? A big bouquet of flowers? Part of a transmission?

This is the national Boy Scout statue?

(As they used to say, everybody's a critic.)

No, that's it exactly.

The picture doesn't show the whole setting.

I forget now what the man and woman represent. It was something like "Truth" & "Justice". The woman is holding a flame in her fingertips. I can't recall what the man is holding.

It has a very heroic tone. Opposing critique noted, I thought it was very well done and a significant tribute. The location alone is an indication of the degree of honor being given the organization.

By the way, the closest building to it is the Commerce Building which is also shown in another pic. The facade pictured in its foto is seen in the background.

Subject: Boy Scout Memorial

Year: 1964

Sculptor: Donald DeLue

( E Street & 15th )

The memorial stands on the site of the First Boy Scout Jamboree in 1937. The two nearly naked figures represent Manhood and Womanhood; the realistic Boy Scout is leading them into the future.

Next to the statue is a pool which bears the inscription: "In grateful tribute to the men and women whose generosity, devotion, and leadership have brought Scouting to the nation's youth and to honor all members of the Boy Scouts of America who in days of peace and times of peril have done their duty to God and their country this memorial was authorized by the Congress of the United States and erected in recognition of the fiftieth anniverary of the Boy Scouts of America."

The Boy Scout oath is engraved on the pedestal of the statue.

Hope this helps,

bob

That's a fig leaf y'all.

It was very common in the victorian era (I believe that's the time frame) for nudes to be reworked to be covered as to not offend the conservative sensabilities of the day. The fig leaf or a well placed piece of drapery became a standard element of neoclassical artwork.

Neoclassical meaning a revival of Greco-Roman styled art.

Although this isn't a neoclassical work it is done somewhat in the neoclassical style hence the fig leaf. There is nothing rude or uncouth about the statue it's just the artist's interperatation of neoclassicism.

There is nothing wrong with the arm, the photo is taken at a bad angle. Usually neoclassical statues are meant to be viewed from the front and the photo is from the side.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another picture:

http://www.nps.gov/whho/Statues/boy_scout_memorial.htm

The page also has a little background, including:

The bronze statue consists of three figures: a Boy Scout, a woman and a man. Each figure symbolizes the idea of the great and noble forces that are an inspiring background of each Scout as he goes about the business of becoming a man and a citizen.

The male figure symbolizes physical, mental and moral fitness, love of country, good citizenship, loyalty, honor, courage and clean living. He carries a helmet, a symbol of masculine attire and a live oak branch, a symbol of peace and of strength.

The female figure symbolizes enlightenment with the light of faith, love of God, high ideals, liberty, justice, freedom, democracy and love of fellow man; symbolizing the spiritual qualities of good citizenship. She holds high the eternal flame of God's Holy Spirit.

The figure of the Boy Scout represents the hopes of all past, present and future scouts around the world and the hopes of every home, church and school that all that is great and noble in the Nation's past and present will continue to live in them and through them in many generations to come.