Scout age limit, circa 1940

Hi,

As a scout I was not always too observent. In fact, even to this day I discover things which happened around me as a youth actually had a purpose. I don't remember being taught, or told, about the scouters' knots. If I was, it was an opportunity lost.

However, one of my first years on cub day camp staff, I remember we showed the cubs some knots, explained their significance, and who could earn them. KISS. The young cubs were taught about the ones they could earn, and it was helpfull if a Webelos Scout could explain one of those, or an Eagle Scout, another. Older cubs were reminded of what they, hopefully, were gunning for, and if any of them had earned their religious medal, they were recognised again. They were also reminded of the hard work their cub leaders did on a regular basis, and a few knots which they could proudly wear. This was a good opportunity to remind the boys to be on the lookout for these, to ask if that was the --'s knot, congradulations! And, by the way, thank you. By the time they were first year Webelos the knot they were working on was exploited for all it was worth, the others already mentioned, and a few more to add to the list.

It still impresses me when I walk by a group of young scouts, an I hear one of them whisper to his companions, "Hey, he's wearing a --- knot."

• 5 months later...

Ok, I started posting here just after I turned 18, and I was still sort of looking for my new place in my troop. I'm over the whole merit badge bent. I think somebody told me that they did change the eagle badge rules recently, allowing adults to wear the actual badge IIRC. if not then it has become a troop tradition, so either way I guess I'm coming to terms with my age.

Coming to terms with your age at 19 or in your early 20's is a piece of cake! Try doing it in your late forties! Now, the 50 & up crowd will state the same for the 40's "younguns" but hey, it comes with the territory. Seriously, have fun in your new role in Scouting. Once a parent, you can live vicariously through the achievements of your offspring and drive them crazy!

By the way, how's the weather up there for ya, eh? From a "troll."

" I think somebody told me that they did change the eagle badge rules recently, allowing adults to wear the actual badge IIRC."

I'm sure Bob White can speak authorotatively but I'm pretty sure that they haven't blessed adults wearing the Eagle Badge.

As an aside, I was watching "LEave it to Beaver" last night, it was the episode in which Wally joins the Boy Scouts. It appeared that the Scoutmaster was wearing a First Class badge. Also, when Beaver wanted to join, he was told that he was too young and would have to wait. I started yelling at the TV, "Why don't you tell him about Cub Scouts!" I might need a reality check :)

I never liked the idea of adults earning Scout awards. The inequity was so imbalanced that the word injustice didn't fit. It was a bad idea when it was allowed and the very nature of the idea hasn't changed. But, during those times, there was a difference in the way people viewed Scouting as a kind of a grand scheme of knighthood. People wanted to belong to something so rich and good that they looked beyond what might seem apparent to the disconnected observer of today.

The War effort didn't need Scout Badge incentives to motivate people. Scout Badges for helping with the war effort were considered an honor because people truly wanted to help in any way they could. Scout badge acquisition as a motivation to help would have been an insult. The time and circumstances were different. WE were at war and there was a definite enemy and WE stood together.

I hope that we never return to the time when adults earn "boy" badges but the wish of a person to be part of a grand scheme of knighthood is a goal worth reconsidering. I hope that we never have another great war just to bring us all together but I do hope that we realize a time when Scout awards are an honor and not an incentive.

FB