Are you "innies" or "outies"?

In the other thread, we were debating over my opinion that a propensity to network (through VOA or less formal association with other youth movements) is what distinguishes a "crew" -- in the Venturing sense of the word -- from a "club" or "paper crew."

Anyway, I wanted to know in what ways you or your crew are "innies" (tend to just do your thing and steer clear of council or other crew activities) or "outies" (tend to connect to other crews, Council VOA, or other "upper tier" Venturing associations).

How do you operate? What barriers do you experience?

And there I was checking my belly button!

Sea Scouts and Sea Scout Ships tend to be more "outies".

Doing things with other Ships and participating in activities where Ships from a large area come together.

I'm thinking of in our area the Winter Training in Maryland, the Regattas and the activities we have done with other Ships.

Maybe because we are so few?

Maybe because the Sea Scout program is so structured?

Or maybe it's just because Sea Scouter's are the cream of the crop?

(Some with very sexy knees!)

Ea.

"Anyway, I wanted to know in what ways you or your crew are "innies" (tend to just do your thing and steer clear of council or other crew activities) or "outies" (tend to connect to other crews, Council VOA, or other "upper tier" Venturing associations). "

Why would any crew want to 'steer clear of council or other crew activities'???

My experience is that most crews (and their members) LIKE to do things with other crews.

When it doesn't happen I usually find its due to certain adults preventing it, by keeping their crew isolated (usually due to attitudes like they don't like the council, or putting blinders on, such as 'we do X', if your crew/activity does include 'X' we aren't interested.)

Well, when my crew first started, they steered clear of the VOA. (Both council and area offered opportunities.) Those particular youth were a pretty tight clique. It took the next generation of officers to "open channels of communication with the aliens."