New American Red Cross/ BSA Partnership

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARC Lifeguard Training has absolute *no* boating safety components to it at all. (I just recertified a couple weeks ago). I would expect it would cover topics in Safe Swim Defense, except...well, I think every organization needs to maintain responsibility for putting forth their own policies...Also, not every ARC Lifeguard course includes the Waterfront Module, so kinda useless unless you're at a swimming pool.

Thats one of the courses involved in the deal. You will be able to take the instructors course or the learners course for $5 plus the cost of the bookbook (which is almost the size of the BSA Field Book). They expext the BSA to be the largest client for this course. I only saw the book for a few moments but there was alot of info that seemed straight from the First Class requirements. perhaps someone on the forum has taken the course and can tell us more.

Bob White

I have just completed the Wilderness First Aid course. It gives a refresher on basic first aid which you should know before taking the course and then adds to that such things as advance first aid, taking vitals and logging them on a incident report, examining a patients for other injures, what to do if help is delayed and basic wilderness survival. I would recommend the class to Scouters and older Scouts especially if you do a lot of backpacking or other forms of camping where you will be in remote locations and help will take awhile to get to you.

I also have one question about this alliance. Does it mean that the eventual goal is for a Scout who has completed the First Aid Merit badge to also be Red Cross First Aid certified?

Bob,

Do you have any details as to the when or where? We have been trying to bring this to our Troop (the Troop that I serve), but the closest we can find it is 175 miles away.

Any help anyone can provide will be VERY apreciated!

Mark

The YMCA has no relation to this other than it might be used locally as a meeting place for classes. I am unaware of any first aid certification offered by the YMCA. This agreemnt is solely between the BSA and the ARC.

The agreement is in effect now. Information is being disseminated through the local and regional chapters of the ARC through the local BSA councils. In the council I am in the regional ARC education coordinator met with our council training committee to explain the program.

So I would suggest, if you want more information, to contact your BSA council professional responsible for training and ask if they have gotten details yet from the Red Cross.

I will try to get more details posted tonight from the fact sheet I received.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White, sorry, I was still thinking about LauraT7 and AnneinMpls comments on Lifeguard training. Senior Lifesaving (YMCA) was really intense as I remember it. I was wondering if it would be viewed favorably by BSA or if they would still require a day or so BSA training.

Called the ARC last week to just schedule Basic Aid Training for our Wolves and Bears. When the lady found out I was an RN she not only offered me a job but also signed me up to become an Instructor for the ARC. The ARC is also picking up the $110 cost of certification. The collaboration of these two service oriented organizations will absolutely improve all our communities in a positive way!

I'm also interested in the link or list of classes that are available for $5.00.

Jodi

Called the ARC last week to just schedule Basic Aid Training for our Wolves and Bears. When the lady found out I was an RN she not only offered me a job but also signed me up to become an Instructor for the ARC. The ARC is also picking up the $110 cost of certification. The collaboration of these two service oriented organizations will absolutely improve all our communities in a positive way!

I'm also interested in the link or list of classes that are available for $5.00.

Jodi