Venturing/Ranger books

Hi all:

The Venturing/Ranger books were pulled several months ago. We have heard various reasons, including a legal review associated with youth protection polices, updates to the books, etc. We cannot figure out why the older books could not continue on the shell pending whatever was being done. It has been quite the source of frustration since it has now been five or six months and our crew has several new members who do not have their Venturing/Ranger books to work with.

Our DE checked and was simply told the book is being reviewed and will be available in 8-10 weeks. This is exactly what he was told three months ago. Does anyone have any better information?

Am not aware of them being pulled. They may have run out of stock, but some Scout Shops may still have some.

I have heard some talk of some minor tweaks for the next print run, but nothing definet. There has been some talk on the Venturing Yahoo Group, and an upcoming meeting in Dallas this will hopefully be asked and we can get an answer.

from Amazon.com:

Ranger Handbook and Venturer Handbook (Venturing BSA) by Boy Scouts of America (Spiral-bound - 2006)

4 new from $40.00 10 used from $18.00

Could you not xerox or scan into a computer brief sections until the books are again available?

Generally speaking, if I'm recruited to be a member of an organization, try to order the handbook that's supposed to tell me everything I need to know, and it's not available from the national or local offices, I'm not going to try much harder to get one or continue my interest in the program.

However, this may mark an improvement if the book actually gets a decent edit. The edition I have (2008 printing) has resources lists for the Ranger items that appear to have been simply copied and pasted from another website, complete with the notation in the handbook: "Buy the book today!"

The copyright in my manual is 1998. That means the content hasn't been updated for 12 years now. About time for a significant revision.

"The copyright in my manual is 1998. That means the content hasn't been updated for 12 years now. About time for a significant revision."

I actually collect all versions of the venturing literature.

Here has not been a significant revision since day one. there has been a few little tweeks and changes, but that's it.

But major revisions only happen about every 5-10 years or so. (I actually think the OA Handbook is overdue for this. Its largely the same manual I had when I was a youth in the early 80s...)