emb021

It must be nice to see all things as either black or white with no shades of gray. The fraternization policy you throw around is a guideline aimed at Venturing to mainly prevent things like a 20yo dating a 14yo crew member, or a 22yo assoc advisor dating a 15yo youth. A 19 or 20 yo crew member dating a 22yo assoc advisor is a whole other matter, legally they are both consenting adults, and as long as they leave their relationship at the door at meetings and curb it on trips it does not have to be a problem. The BSA can not mandate what two adults can or can not do especially during their time away from crew functions. YPT is there to protect the youth of the crew from being exploited by adults and to protect the adults as well.

The entire intracrew and member/leader dating brings back a meeting I attended in college. The school was creating an outdoor club, and somehow I was asked to talk about Exploring, as this was a year before the Venturing split. Things were going well, the folks starting the club liked everything the BSA had to offer. Only two things they didn't like: the fraternization policy, yes it was around then, and , since we are talking college students, the no alcohol policy.

"Another curve ball.

Can a married couple both be associated with the crew if one is under 21? i.e. Husband is 21, wife is 19."

Again, NOT a curve ball.

They are married. The fraternization policy doesn't apply. There is no issue.

"It must be nice to see all things as either black or white with no shades of gray. The fraternization policy you throw around is a guideline aimed at Venturing to mainly prevent things like a 20yo dating a 14yo crew member, or a 22yo assoc advisor dating a 15yo youth. A 19 or 20 yo crew member dating a 22yo assoc advisor is a whole other matter, legally they are both consenting adults, and as long as they leave their relationship at the door at meetings and curb it on trips it does not have to be a problem. The BSA can not mandate what two adults can or can not do especially during their time away from crew functions. YPT is there to protect the youth of the crew from being exploited by adults and to protect the adults as well. "

For someone who claims to have been a professional, I am surprised by your comment. The VYPT is pretty clear this NOT a suggestion or a guideline. A Venturing adult (over 21) is NOT to be dating a venturing youth (under 21). End of story. What they may do outside of crew functions is anothe thing, but this is not something they can be doing within the crew. I suggest you review the VYPT.

emb021

You are a constant source of laughs for me, when I was a DE there was no Venturing just the Explorer posts, no LFL nonsense either, and there didnt seem to be a problem then in coed posts, and YPT did not exsist either, hmmm how did scouting make it through those dark times? LOL

I am very familiar with VYPT, but also deal with this issue on a daily basis, unlike yourself I wager. You missed the whole point of my post, it does not matter what a pub or online class might suggest, human nature is just that and can not be controlled by a pub or rule. My point once again for you emb, a 19 or 20 yo venturer and a 22yo assoc advisor are both legally consenting adults under the law and no BSA rule can alter that fact. You can not stop them from dating, but you can ask them to curtail their relationship during crew events and most of them will agree. Even though the rest of the crew will be aware of their relationship it will not disrupt the functioning of the crew. Time for you emb021 to pull your puritanical head out of the sand and learn how to cope with the reality of todays world.

Welcome Radio,

The fact that you wanted to ask the question and found a great place to ask it speaks wonderfully of you!

It seems like you have a good handle on this and have already read several good paths toward the future.

Emb021 and BadenP, seems like you guys are arguing the spirit vs letter of the law. Obviously, you're going to find it hard to reach closure. Isn't it obvious? The rule is clear, but will be enacted at the unit level so it's going to be handled differently by individual groups.

My inclination would be to try to get it to work for the young adults involved, while maintaining the credibility of the Crew and protection of the minors in the crew. I see the gray area, though, and once you go gray, each incident becomes a decision to be made. Just following the rules is easier on a group's integrity and "safer".

I don't think Embo21 is wrong, though that rule seems intended to be used more practically as BadenP sees it.

Yah, I'm with BadenP, eh? This is only an issue if some nitwit of an administrator somewhere decides to be foolish. And if yeh have to deal with such a person, then charter both of the young people as ASMs in a local troop and bring 'em along on that basis.

VYPT is offering basic general guidance, which then has to be applied to da particular circumstances by the CO and real adult leaders. In all my discussions at Region and National, da folks are far more nuanced and intelligent about the application of these things than some of our more black-and-white volunteers.

Beavah