OLS for Venture Advisers

See: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

Apparently those Venturing Crew Advisers with an outdoor program now need to participate in OLS. Oh man, I've done WB, many campouts, and attended and even helped staff numerous council camps. I've been meaning to take OLS anyway, but do I need to rip off my trained patch until then?

Officially yes because as I keep telling my three bead friend who is also a Camping, Hiking, and backpacking MBC' "you are no longer considered Trained" ;)

Seriously thought at the current time, the ability to demonstrate the T-2-1 skills taught at IOLS to an instructor and 'test out" exists. Don't know if that option will remain with the new outdoor skills course that combines Webelos, Scout, and Venturing leaders, esp. since all the specific courses will be available online in the near future.

AFAIK, the only courses they are planning to put on-line is the leader specific training courses. I don't believe they are going to put the OLS course on-line.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the leader specific courses being put on-line. Have someone actually TEACHING this course, and ensuring people understand what they are taught is important.

I feel for you, bacchus. It about killed me to watch my IOLS instructor teach me how to fail to build a fire.

There's this one episode of The Unit that would be nearly perfect for OLS-online. (Helicopter crashed, the guy had to treat his passenger for shock, build a shelter, start a fire, etc ...)

Sorry thought I stated that all SPECIFIC ( caps for emphaisis) will be online.

Also I read on one of the training boards that no changes to IOLS and WeLOT will occur this year. SOOOOO the test out options still remains. And yes the skills checkoff is in the mice type of the district training book.

Sorry I don't have the exact page # in the book, but in the current IOLS manual, there is a page that explains that someone can "test out" by demonstrating the T-2-1 Skills to an instructor. I had someone point that out to me AFTER I was doing training.

What I find kinda funny is that to promote mandatory training with scout leaders, FS, YP, SMS, and IOLS wil be conducted at summercamp and a good friend of mine is doing the lead instructor. Guess what though, he's not "trained" b/c he never went through IOLS, but is a MBC for Camping, Hiking, backpacking et al.

He WILL be "trained" after this summer ;)